Entertaining a ZTR

bhepper

Threads
Am going to check out a local mower dealer who carries a few different brands. Was wanting input on the following mowers he has in stock:

Big Dog Alpha 36" Kawasaki FR 18hp Running Light and Deluxe Seat 1 $3,299.00
Country Clipper Avenue 42" Kawasaki 18HP Joystick & Flipup Deck 1 $3,599.00
Dixon Speedztr SE 48" Kawasaki Special Edition 1 $3,599.95

My yard is not big. 1/3 acre. However there are a number of smaller areas that require constant gear changes on our current JD GX75.

Any opinions or thoughts for these? Want something that is going to last. Won't have a ton of hours so length of warranty is a plus.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Dixon has not been produced for 2 years. Check their integrity and ask what year it is.
Besides that I can say your requirements do not follow your choices.

"Want something that is going to last. Won't have a ton of hours so length of warranty is a plus."

bhepper

Threads
The Dixon has not been produced for 2 years. Check their integrity and ask what year it is.
Besides that I can say your requirements do not follow your choices.

"Want something that is going to last. Won't have a ton of hours so length of warranty is a plus."

I will check with him on year of Dixon. Though this is in his list of new inventory.

I see what you're saying about the hours/length of warranty. I feel even with the low hours a longer/better warranty would be best as it can show confidence in product. I have no problem paying for a fabricated deck/better construction despite the smaller yard.

I have removed a few of the models due to width and being able to fit into my storage shed. Width of opening is 52" so 48" width deck will probably be max. By gear changes I mean 3 point turns and frequent shifts into reverse. I have a number of trees, landscaped areas, and some fencing with smaller areas of grass that create the turns shifts into reverse. I can also ask about ordering an Alpha 42 w/ Kohler as well.

bhepper

Threads
So went out and looked at a few mowers. Looked at the Alpha 42 and the Country Clipper Avenue (54" w/ Kohler) but would be looking at 42" w/18hp Kawasaki FR. Here are pros/cons as I see them:

Big Dog Alpha 42

Pros (over CC): Lower to the ground or so it seemed which might make it easier to get under lower branches, engine guard, hour meter, larger motor, more comfortable seat, smart choke, longer albeit pretty limited parts warranty to 7 years, a little cheaper (3199 vs 3399)

Country Clipper Avenue 42

Pros (over Alpha): Flip up deck, joystick control

I also checked out a Simplicity Courier (48 but would be looking at 42) at another dealer. It didn't offer much more over the others other than their 'Comfort Suspension' and I did not take a ride as the salesman wasn't working today. It also has the Briggs Professional 23hp (of course) and am not sure of quality on those. Pricing is within $50 of the Alpha 42.

I am leaning towards the Alpha 42 as while the flip-up deck is neat I am not sure how often I would actually need to clean out the deck though blade removal would be easier.

Thoughts now?

NorthBama

Threads
I don't see anything about the transmissions in comparison of each mower. Some of the low ends only last about 600 hours and are non serviceable.

bhepper

Threads
I don't see anything about the transmissions in comparison of each mower. Some of the low ends only last about 600 hours and are non serviceable.

Transmissions in all are the EZT. I've done quite a bit of reading and for residential use should last quite awhile for my purposes.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

That is not true. They are called sealed and do not require oil changes. As far as serviceable they sale all parts to do a complete rebuild.

bhepper

Threads
I have gotten pricing on the Hustler Limited 52". At $3199 w/ Kohler it's priced the same as the Alpha 42" with everything but longer parts warranty and has a 52" deck. My shed opening is just wide enough but will have to fix the doors so they open all the way. The Limited is available with Kawasaki FR for $300 more. From what I've seen from looking online its not worth paying the difference.

cruzenmike

Threads
I have gotten pricing on the Hustler Limited 52". At $3199 w/ Kohler it's priced the same as the Alpha 42" with everything but longer parts warranty and has a 52" deck. My shed opening is just wide enough but will have to fix the doors so they open all the way. The Limited is available with Kawasaki FR for $300 more. From what I've seen from looking online its not worth paying the difference.

Double check your prices on the Raptor. Everything I have seen shows the Kawasaki being only $100 more than the Kohler. I too looked at these models and had I gone with one I would have taken the Kawasaki because of the manual choke; less to go wrong. As for Big Dog, they appear to be a subsidiary of Hustler anyway, so it is likely that you would see similar performance and quality out of the two. The addition of the hour meter, engine guard, wider tires and premium seat are all worth the extra money for the limited. Have you considered the Aliens Ikon X? Available in 42" and 52". Both have fabricated decks, premium seats, hour meter and foot assisted deck lift. Plus, through April 30th they are extending the warranty to 5 years. These units are based off of the gravely and are very sturdy. 42" is a Kohler and the 52" you have a choice of Kohler or Kawasaki. All three is these are less than the 52" Raptor Limited. Just a thought.

bhepper

Threads
Double check your prices on the Raptor. Everything I have seen shows the Kawasaki being only $100 more than the Kohler. I too looked at these models and had I gone with one I would have taken the Kawasaki because of the manual choke; less to go wrong. As for Big Dog, they appear to be a subsidiary of Hustler anyway, so it is likely that you would see similar performance and quality out of the two. The addition of the hour meter, engine guard, wider tires and premium seat are all worth the extra money for the limited. Have you considered the Aliens Ikon X? Available in 42" and 52". Both have fabricated decks, premium seats, hour meter and foot assisted deck lift. Plus, through April 30th they are extending the warranty to 5 years. These units are based off of the gravely and are very sturdy. 42" is a Kohler and the 52" you have a choice of Kohler or Kawasaki. All three is these are less than the 52" Raptor Limited. Just a thought.

Hustler is currently running a special on the Limited's with the Kohler otherwise the difference would only be $100 different. My local dealer actually ordered a couple to have on hand even if I don't take one so will get to check it out. The Big Dog might have different tires, led lights, and little different warranty otherwise the Limited will have everything the Big Dog does. Will see them side by side and make a choice. I would look at the Ariens Icon X though there are no local dealers with service departments.