Trash day find - Harmony HRM215-3SDA

Ty_Bower

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member, first time posting here. I've already found many helpful tips - thank you!

On trash day, I found a Honda mower that had been abandoned by the previous owner. There was a "FREE" sign taped to the top. The trash guys wouldn't take it (fuel tank and all that), so I claimed it for myself. It's a Harmony HRM215 with the plastic deck. Three speed transmission, no blade clutch. Now things start to get a little odd. Although it's designated as an HRM, it had the bag attached and no sign of the mulch plug. It also seems to have the single "high lift" blade installed. No trace of a QuadraCut or MicroCut mulching dual blade.

This poor thing has been rode hard, and put up wet. The air filter is missing. The blade appears to have been sharpened - never. The blade was attached by bolts that appear to be non-standard. They've got nuts on the back side, and the "special washers" are missing. The oil was black as pitch, and I was able to dump out maybe 200 mL of the stuff. There are a few small cracks in the Nexite deck, probably from rocks that got kicked up. Grass is packed in everywhere. The underside of the Nexite is scratched and scrubbed all over the place. Front wheels are in the highest position, but rear wheels are in the lowest and tough to move.

Regardless, I add clean oil and fresh fuel. To my surprise, the old GXV140 starts after three pulls and runs reasonably smooth. Maybe there is hope yet? But of course, the transmission is toast. Squeeze the clutch handle, and you don't even feel spring resistance. I tear the thing apart, and find the clutch fork is missing its upper half. Gonzo. It seems to have snapped in two. I assume the arm is buried in the guy's lawn somewhere.

Here's photos, if you are inclined to watch. Sorry for so many pictures of the snap rings, washers, and drive pinions. I took the pics so I would remember how it all goes back together.
http://s69.photobucket.com/user/Ty_Bower/slideshow/Honda%20HRM215

So, what to do with it now?

1) Throw it back on the curb with another "FREE" sign.
2) Forget the transmission, and use it as a push mower. No, I'm not going there.
3) Pull the engine and mount it on my Craftsman. Will a GXV140 swap with a GCV160?
4) Buy a whole replacement tranny. Good luck finding one.
5) Tear the tranny apart, and try to find a replacement clutch fork. Even more luck.

Ty_Bower

Forum Newbie
Threads
On trash day, I found a Honda mower that had been abandoned by the previous owner...

Here's a better pic of the transmission problem. The top piece of the clutch fork is snapped off, and the clutch arm is missing.

IMG_4631.JPG

I guess since the thing is already pooched, there's no further harm in cracking it open. Maybe I can find a way to rig a new clutch fork or something.

Ty_Bower

Forum Newbie
Threads
The transmission has a sticker on the side that says 200001-VE2-M100-M2. Date code is 04-23-98.

Here's the broken clutch fork. Where to find a replacement?

IMG_4646.jpg

Ty_Bower

Forum Newbie
Threads
A friend was able to drill the part and insert a threaded rod. He cross-drilled and pinned it, then ground the sides flat. It should hold well enough to get it back in service.

IMG_4708.jpg

jp1961

Threads
Wow, your friend is quite the machinist. Nice work.

Regards

Jeff

javjacob

Threads
That is a nice find! I have a 1996 HRM215HXA which looks the same as yours except its got the hydrostatic transmission. Great mowing machines!