Walk behind "unique"' carb??

parkboy

Threads
I just picked up a 19" Lawn-Boy Model 5238 Serial 7265717. That serial does not seem to jibe with the model number on anything I have looked up. This one has the carburetor with the needle valve as part of the float which, according to my Lawn-Boy Service Manual, appears to be a D-600 Modular carb.

The "slinky" spring that supports the float looks pretty flat. The rubber needle on the float still looks pretty "sharp" but I'm not positive. Where can I find parts for this?

Thanks,
Parkboy

viperv10

Threads
Hey Parkboy.
You are describing a carburetor like on my very first Lawn boy. It was a 1976 model 5274. It had the modular carb with the needle on top of the float. If you look on the Lawn boy master parts viewer lookup the float spring will be part # 609016. You can still get them on ebay. The float itself might be hard to come by, but you can still get the whole carburetor on ebay and other online stores. My needle was really pointed also. When I looked up 5238, the drawings showed a different engine and said it was a 1969. Look up model 5274 and see if that is the same carburetor that you have. I believe that's what some people call the suitcase shroud. My float would leak around the top seam and take on gas. I would have to take it a part, empty it out and reglue it together again.
Hope this helps.
Jerry

viperv10

Threads
Hi Parkboy,
I just found on ebay a couple of float bowl and float kits. Part no. 681644. One for about $10 and another for $15. Every parts store says the floats themselves
are obsolete. That's why I got read of my old mower about ten years ago because I couldn't get a new float and a new carburetor was way over $100.
I didn't know anything about online shopping back then. I couldn't see paying over $100 on a 30 year old mower. Maybe today I would. I don't know.
Well anyway if you get the 609916 spring and the 681644 float, you might be in business. Also if you need a bowl gasket, it is part no. 608801 and they are
also available on ebay. Over and out.
Jerry

parkboy

Threads
Hi Parkboy,
I just found on ebay a couple of float bowl and float kits. Part no. 681644. One for about $10 and another for $15. Every parts store says the floats themselves
are obsolete. That's why I got read of my old mower about ten years ago because I couldn't get a new float and a new carburetor was way over $100.
I didn't know anything about online shopping back then. I couldn't see paying over $100 on a 30 year old mower. Maybe today I would. I don't know.
Well anyway if you get the 609916 spring and the 681644 float, you might be in business. Also if you need a bowl gasket, it is part no. 608801 and they are
also available on ebay. Over and out.
Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for all of your help!

Parkboy