Repairs Troybilt Horse rear-tine oil seal replacement

TOMBSTONE1969

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently bought a Troybilt Horse Tiller model # 12090 ,in real nice condition and need to replace original rear tine seals because it's leaking on the right -side.The question I have is the replacement MTD brand seal pn # 921-04035 (original pn # 97073) is the same O.D. & I.D. in diameter but, is shorter and entirely different in appearance than the originals,that I removed? Also noticed that the seals are manufactured in Taiwan and I was looking to buy some Oregon brand seals (made in USA) .Curious if anyone has Oregon part number that would cross-reference with?:confused2:

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
No Oregon cross for your seal. The original seal may look different than the new one, because they have probably changed manufacturers of the seal, or may of been similar enough to another seal in the parts list that they decided to use that part number instead of having two parts in inventory that were the same.

That seal can leak due to stuff getting wrapped around the shaft, or the bearings in the tine section get worn and allow the shaft to wobble, allowing the seal to leak. This also will cause the shaft to be damaged due to the metal seal cutting a groove in the shaft.