How to disable seat switch on Yard Machine 7 speed shift on the go

rkode

Threads
  • / How to disable seat switch on Yard Machine 7 speed shift on the go
Anyone know how to disable the seat switch ?
I use this machine in the woods and I am constantly off and on the seat moving tree parts (branches and stuff) out of the way of the mower.
I'm gonna wear out the starter.
I am unable to find anything specific on You Tube.

I have a Model : LT5 Lawn Tractor.
http://www.mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdparts/yard-machines-riding-mower-13an772g729

Thanks in advance.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do not turn off the mower set the break. Now you wont ware out the starter.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok so the seat switch is working and either the brake/clutch or the neutral switch is not. The engine will always shut down if PTO in engaged. So with that do you have an electrical tester?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The REAL reason NOBODY with common sense ... is willing to tell you how to "defeat" or "bypass"
the seat safety sw. ( or any safety device ) is we don't want a liability issue for this site ... or ourselves.
Those safety devices were installed for specific reasons ... SHEET HAPPENS .. with sometimes
FATAL results . Trying to "help you" may lead to you ...or another ( perhaps a young child ) in just a split second of ignorance or carelessness ... losing body parts or even a life !! MUCH,MUCH ,
easier to live with things that are a PITA than agonizing a lifetime over a few minutes of convenience. WE want to hear FROM you ......NOT ABOUT you !!! STAY SAFE !! :thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok so the seat switch is working and either the brake/clutch or the neutral switch is not. The engine will always shut down if PTO in engaged. So with that do you have an electrical tester?

CAREFUL Blaz .... DON'T enter the "mine-field".....

rkode

Threads

I do.
I do have an electrical tester.
I'd be grateful for your ideas as to how I should test things.

As an aside (maybe.).

I turn the Lawn Machine off.
Put it into neutral.
Step on the clutch and move the 7 speed selector out of park.
After that, I can't physically push the rider forward or backward.
It's as if the transmission is still engaged.

This is an issue if the engine dies and I need to push the mower up onto my trailer so I might take it somewhere to be services.

I wonder if both of these issues are related ?

Ray in Wisconsin

rkode

Threads
The REAL reason NOBODY with common sense ... is willing to tell you how to "defeat" or "bypass"
the seat safety sw. ( or any safety device ) is we don't want a liability issue for this site ... or ourselves.
Those safety devices were installed for specific reasons ... SHEET HAPPENS .. with sometimes
FATAL results . Trying to "help you" may lead to you ...or another ( perhaps a young child ) in just a split second of ignorance or carelessness ... losing body parts or even a life !! MUCH,MUCH ,
easier to live with things that are a PITA than agonizing a lifetime over a few minutes of convenience. WE want to hear FROM you ......NOT ABOUT you !!! STAY SAFE !! :thumbsup:

Thanks for replying to my post.

THAT makes absolute sense of course.

I don't need to disable the seat switch.
It was the only thing I could think of that would allow me to get off the mower without needing to restart the engine when re-mounting it.
BlazNT described a procedure which would work for me.

At the time of my original post, I didn't realize that the mower would allow such a thing.
And it still doesn't.
But it sounds like my mower thinks the PTO is still engaged after putting it is neutral and setting it to park.
Now I'm engaged in trying to figure out why the mower thinks this is so and then fix that.
Once that is fixed, I wont have an interest in disabling anything.

Ray in Wisconsin

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sometimes the park position will lock the parking brake were it won't roll, but not down far enough to engage the clutch safety switch. Push the brake pedal down and lock it in the park position, and without touching the pedal try to see if it will crank. If not then the pedal isn't down far enough to trigger the switch, and also will not allow the mower to run with you off the seat.

rkode

Threads
Thanks for the reply.

Here's what I did.

Place the transmission in neutral.
Push the peddle all the way down and hold it there.
Move the speed/park selector out of park to some speed. (I tried several different speed selections.)
Turn the key to start.
The engine does start.

I then repeated the above steps but this time with the transmission in forward rather than neutral.
With the same results. The engine started.

Then, I .....

Set the speed/park selector to "park".
Set the transmission to neutral.
If I don't press the peddle, the engine will not start. (Regardless of if the transmission is in forward, neutral or reverse.)
If I do press the peddle, the engine will start. (Regardless of if the transmission is in forward, neutral or reverse.)

I hope my ramblings make sense.

Ray in Wisconsin