725DT GH hooking up traction springs

Balerguy2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Swapping over from Winter/ Snow Thrower to the Mower Deck 3461 I find it impossible to connect the "Traction Springs"? I've gone through multiple cycles of "power fold" and "deck height" changes including "adjusting (loosening) the traction springs" adjuster...... no luck.

I can get at best within 1/8" from the torque arm pin (using the special GH tool) but it isn't enough to get the outer of the 3 links, linked.

Anybody share some info?! Thanks so much! Hope someone has solved this and will share! TIA

Carl

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
On a similar type of mower as yours. I had to connect the springs to the weight transfer arms first then take a rope and attach to spring then pull from behind the mower till a friend could beat the spring down to the mounting hole. It was a hell of an ordeal. Took hours and lots of patients.

Balerguy2

Forum Newbie
Threads
BlazNT,

I was only lacking 1/8" from hooking up..................... so I used a "French Link" sized to exactly make up the 1/8" and set the 'threaded/ lock nut rod adjuster' to approximate the same "lift" force (torque).

GrassHopper uses this same torque plate on each driving wheel back plate via compression spring (my situation), also (but not my situation) in concert paralleled with a hydraulic cylinder and piston rod so that gives some idea of accuracy not really required.

I too fought the battle with the 'Traction' strap which is supposed to enable "pivot" according to the manual.............................both L & R as delivered from the factory were too tight.

Thanks so much!

Carl

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Glad you found a fix.

qmark

Threads
I just hooked mine up today. I attached a cable come along to the spring arm and pulled from the front of the deck. It was easy.

MKing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Everyone one I’ve talked to cusses these especially on the 52” powerfold and the 60” Snowblower. (Including the dealer) I called the factory today, and the guy told me that they are a bear, just no good way to change attachments and re-hook the chains. He said they will try figure out something. The more people that call on this terrible design the better.

‭+1 (620) 345-8621‬
Moundridge, KS

MKing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Everyone one I’ve talked to cusses these especially on the 52” powerfold and the 60” Snowblower. (Including the dealer) I called the factory today, and the guy told me that they are a bear, just no good way to change attachments and re-hook the chains. He said they will try figure out something. The more people that call on this terrible design the better.