Craptastic Yard

PyhooyaBooya

Threads
I have a few problems with my yard...
1. It is covered in clover. I have read that you should just pull it, but I think they underestimate the amount of clover there actually is. How do I get rid of this stuff?

2. My yard is bumpy. In the past it has been uncomfortable to walk on it without shoes. Someone told me that i could take one of those rollers and go over it when it is wet, but for some reason I have my doubts if that will work.

Help!!! I drowning in lawn poop!

mullins87

Threads
Spray with 2-4D, it will kill all the broadleafs, but not the grass. It will kill weeds too. The roller will work best when the yard is wet and spongy, probably right after the spring thaw.

PyhooyaBooya

Threads
2-4D? I'll do some looking. Can I just roll after a large rain or would that be a bad time?

Berniep

Threads
You really need something with ingredients like Dicamba. 2-4-d will knock it back a little but it wont really control it. And the best time to control clover is in the fall.
Tractor supply carries a product called trimec and it works well for clover and other weeds.
It has dicamba and 2-4-d in it. It wont hurt the grass.
Clover can be good in a yard but over time it will take over.

mullins87

Threads
I guess I should have been a little more specific on the yard being wet and spongy. Yes, after a good rain will be fine. However, you don't want the yard so wet that your yard tractor gets stuck or leaves large ruts.

I've had good luck with the 2-4D controlling the broadleaves for the entire mowing season here. Back a few years ago when I started mowing the property where my house now sits, I had all sorts of broadleaves growing in what is now the yard, everything from dandilions to poison ivy to virginia creeper. I would spray in the spring and I wouldn't see any broadleaves again until next spring. After three years of doing that, along with regular mowing, I haven't had to spray in the last three years.

Admittedly, I have not tried specifically to control clover as I don't have a lot of that in the yard, so you probably have some experience that I don't have. However, the areas where I have some clover are the only areas where I did not have to spray for the other broadleaves. Maybe it is just coincidence. :confused2:

Berniep

Threads
If it's not taking over then it's not worth targeting IMO. But my yard was getting pretty clovery.
Clover can be tough with any chemical because it has those little hairs that repel liquids. Some sort of spreader sticker or surfactant ( dish washing liquid works pretty well) helps a bunch.
I have gotten my clover pretty much in check. . Now I am targeting my wild violets which are taking over.

Jetblast

Threads
Shoot, the clover patches are my favorite parts of the yard.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I spread 25 pounds of Clover seed on my bare spots -- Green Clover is better than red clay !

Black Bart

Threads
ORTHO makes a product called CLOVER AND CHICKWEED KILLER I have used it and it works much better than 2-4-D but it is hard to find.

Spray it this fall and roll in early spring right after the frost leaves but then you should use a Aerator.

Jetblast

Threads
I spread 25 pounds of Clover seed on my bare spots -- Green Clover is better than red clay !

With Rogaine prices being what they are, you've got me thinking.