Scag 2001 Tuff Tiger with 25 HP Kohler: PTO switch overheats

lewisb-scag

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Scag 2001 Tuff Tiger with 25 HP Kohler: PTO switch overheats
Scag 2001 Tuff Tiger with 25 HP Kohler - the PTO switch (blades engage switch) is overheating and will short & burn out, also the 20 amp fuse needed replacing that is located near switch. I had this problem late in Sept 2016 and replaced the switch; and it burned out in about a week. I did find some wires near the engine that seemed they may be causing the problem and fixed this. Replaced the switch and was OK for the remainder of the season. Started the mower this season and about one hour into cutting the grass the blades stopped turning; PTO switch had burned out again. I put a new PTO switch in and it works again; however I can feel the 20 amp fuse and the wire to the fuse getting hot and I know the PTO switch will short out again. I can't keep replacing PTO switches at $28.00 a part. Anyone have any suggestions of what may be causing this. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Scag 2001 Tuff Tiger with 25 HP Kohler: PTO switch overheats
Scag 2001 Tuff Tiger with 25 HP Kohler - the PTO switch (blades engage switch) is overheating and will short & burn out, also the 20 amp fuse needed replacing that is located near switch. I had this problem late in Sept 2016 and replaced the switch; and it burned out in about a week. I did find some wires near the engine that seemed they may be causing the problem and fixed this. Replaced the switch and was OK for the remainder of the season. Started the mower this season and about one hour into cutting the grass the blades stopped turning; PTO switch had burned out again. I put a new PTO switch in and it works again; however I can feel the 20 amp fuse and the wire to the fuse getting hot and I know the PTO switch will short out again. I can't keep replacing PTO switches at $28.00 a part. Anyone have any suggestions of what may be causing this. Thanks

You have a short in the wires that go to the PTO clutch or the PTO Clutch is on its way out or needs an adjustment.
Getting hot is caused by too many AMPS running through the switch.
The clutch should draw 3 to 6 Amps depending upon which one you have