Old Lawn boy will stall while mowing

Lawnboy77

Threads
Well the model numbers are a bit mixed up. You basically have 3 F series mowers and 2 D-600s. 2 of those model numbers listed are D-400 machines and there are no D-400s there. No biggie though, probably just a deck, or engine swap at some point. I'd probably favor #3, it's a pre compliance F series pusher. Looks like they all have been well used, hopefully not abused. They are worth investigating in my opinion.

The commercial F series looks really great. That one would probably be the one to get in my opinion, the commercials really sell fast and will hold it's value the best of all of them. Why not buy 2? LOL

trock1985

Threads
Ha! First thanks for the clarification on these. I read that some might be from 1972 or so and they def look well used. For me, just in terms of that classic look, I like the 2 I mentioned, I have always loved that pull up start cord. I imagine though the commercial one is better made? heavier duty?

but the 2 I mentioned I just love that look. for now to its a matter of having to get something that works lol. i can send the one I have to the shop and lead time could be up to a month to fix.

I wonder what to ask about the "new" engine? what would they have put int here? a lawn boy? or new from today and some other brand?

I was leanign towards the new engine one but if you think the other is a better model and overall mower I will go that way and save 25 bucks. Man, i really do love these. so many memories from youth wrapped up in them

i went on lawnboys website and jsut coudn't stand the new stuff.

Lawnboy77

Threads
You get whichever mower you like the best. They are all good models. Just do the usual checks, crank it and make sure there is no unusual vibrations, check that the deck is solid, no cracks, breaks or serious pitting.

lewb

Threads
well just found a used 7260D for 125 bucks, 21 inch,

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/6098855287.html

or

7261 with a new engine

says all carbs and mufflers cleaned and blades sharp

which is better? leaning towards the new engine one but don't knwo anything about these, or years etc?

thanks!

Wow, must be a better market in PA then in Omaha NE area, I usually see the same mowers here for 20 to 50 on craigslist. Also I would say the seller must be a LB fanatic not just your avg craigslist kind of seller.

trock1985

Threads
I got an answer, kinda worried they didn't run? or maybe that's ok that some simple fixes from someone who knows what they are doing make them ok now?

Someone dropped off the one with the new motor because they couldn't get it started.
I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it. I think the gap was wrong on the coil too.
After all the work it started and runs well.
The other one wouldn't start. Most of the time either the coil is bad or the carb. needs cleaned.
This one just needed work on the carb. and it runs good too.

All mowers serviced with carbs cleaned, mufflers and exhaust ports cleaned, blades sharpened, decks cleaned.

Think its worth a shot?

trock1985

Threads
well, talked to the guy, he and his brother are retired and they have worked on lawn boys, and other small engines for i guess 176 years lol. no seriously they have worked on the lawnboys for 40 or so years apparently, they told me what they do and did to them, and they will always take it back and fix it again. so off to actually drop mine off to them and buy a new one!

ill report back in!

apalmerjr

Threads
I'm watching this thread closely because my 19" Lawn Boy does the same thing, but just recently started doing it. I've tried changing the gas cap, tried three different carburetors and replaced the bottom seal so far. It just seems like it's not getting enough fuel to the engine and the problem appears to be in the fuel tank itself. I'm thinking about trying putting an old round fuel tank on top of my mower and attaching a fuel line to my carb to see if the tank valve is my problem..