Strong gas smell 10515

mulligan

Threads
1994 10515. I'm getting a strong gas smell in my garage after bringing the mower back in. I shut the gas supply valve off and allow the mower to run out of gas in the carb. I know the valve works and I can't find a leak but the smell is strong for days after using the mower. Any thoughts. Thanks

jp1961

Threads
Mmmm. There are no visible leaks anywhere? I'd suspect either the gas tank has a crack in it or a fuel line or primer line has a small leak.

Regards

Jeff

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
1994 10515. I'm getting a strong gas smell in my garage after bringing the mower back in. I shut the gas supply valve off and allow the mower to run out of gas in the carb. I know the valve works and I can't find a leak but the smell is strong for days after using the mower. Any thoughts. Thanks

That ...sounds like an accident waiting to happen...STRONG smell days after ..??? I would remove the mower to an area outside (cover it if you must ) ... see if the odor leaves , if so.. the mower is the culprit ..... if it persists ... WELL .. check EVERYTHING in the area that "holds" gas , including the fuel containers you use to fill the gas-powered equipment ( metal gas cans are known to rust through on the bottoms ) In the meantime .. I would have an extinguisher ( or 5,7,10,) of em handy !! Don't overlook checking the car !
Hoping we hear FROM ya.... NOT about ya !! stay safe ...Boobala ..:thumbsup:

mulligan

Threads
Thanks for the replies. Well the smell seems to be gone today. I checked the mower thoroughly and there is no sign of a fuel leak. All the gas container s are plastic and no leaks there. I'll check it again very closely after the next cutting later this week. I'll post an update then.

Ajones

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could have a reed problem that allows gas to get back to the air filter and thus the lingering smell. I had a broken reed and it soaked my filter.

mulligan

Threads
Well I'm baffled. I cut the grass yesterday did everything the same. Shut the gas valve when done and let the mower run out of gas to shut off then hosed off the mower which I always do when done before putting it back in the garage and absolutely no smell this time. The only difference is this was my third cutting of the year and being in western Pa during the winter months I store the mower in the basement after draining all the gas. Could this have anything to do with the bad smell? The first and second cuttings of the year produced the smell but now nothing. Thanks for your thoughts. Jeff

mulligan

Threads
Ajones. Tell me more about the reed problem. What is the reed. Thanks Jeff

Ajones

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is behind the carb. It is a thin piece of metal that flexes acting as a valve to allow gas/air into the engine, but will keep it from blowing back into the carb. If you mower is running fine, not likely the culprit. I could run my mower with the air filter off and see gas spray out of the carb. The only fix for a broken reed is taking the engine apart and replacing the reed.

lewb

Threads
Well I'm baffled. I cut the grass yesterday did everything the same. Shut the gas valve when done and let the mower run out of gas to shut off then hosed off the mower which I always do when done before putting it back in the garage and absolutely no smell this time. The only difference is this was my third cutting of the year and being in western Pa during the winter months I store the mower in the basement after draining all the gas. Could this have anything to do with the bad smell? The first and second cuttings of the year produced the smell but now nothing. Thanks for your thoughts. Jeff

I suppose it is possible that the float bowl gasket dried out and seeped gas while running. After being used the gasket material absorbed enough to become more flexible or sealable what ever word works. I have always left gas in mowers and snowblowers in the off season. Never had any issues with a seeping bowl gasket.. I have had an issue with needle,seat and float out of adjustment. If the needle does not stop the flow of gas into the bowl the carb will leak out of the bowl as well as flood the engine. This condition is pretty easy to tell because as soon as the wife opens the garage door she runs back in saying there is a strong gas smell in the garage.