FH580V Swap

Slong1958

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 2005 exmark lazer z that's got the smaller FH580V 19hp engine that's going to need a engine and I'd like to put the larger FH680 23hp on it. I talked to the guys at small engine warehouse and got a price but they couldn't tell me if the bolt pattern on the bottom was the same. It's got the same size crank and I'd have the buy a muffler. The 19hp cost 1600 roughly and the 23hp 1900 roughly plus muffler. Looking at the cost I may be better off going with the 19hp.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine diagrams are on the Kawakasi web site.
Small Engine Warehouse & Small Engine Suppliers both have links on their web sites to mounting diagrams.
Usually the mounting holes are the same for engines with the same shaft sizes.
So all the 1" V twins are interchangable and all the 1" singles are interchangable but the V twins will not necessarily interchange with a single and OHV's usually do not interchange with SV's

gregjo1948

Threads
I've got a 2005 exmark lazer z that's got the smaller FH580V 19hp engine that's going to need a engine and I'd like to put the larger FH680 23hp on it. I talked to the guys at small engine warehouse and got a price but they couldn't tell me if the bolt pattern on the bottom was the same. It's got the same size crank and I'd have the buy a muffler. The 19hp cost 1600 roughly and the 23hp 1900 roughly plus muffler. Looking at the cost I may be better off going with the 19hp.

I think the FH580V and the FH680V have all the same parts except for the throttle shaft. You can purchase the shaft for the 680( under $30.00) and install it in the 580 and have the 23hp. Or; you can simply grind off the throttle stop on the 580 shaft so the throttle opens up all the way. You don't even have to remove the shaft to grind the stop off. Use a little air or electric grinder. If you don't believe me , check any/all the engine parts for the FH580V and the FH680V and the only part that you'll find that is different is the throttle shaft. Kawasaki charges hundreds of dollars more for increasing hp by opening the throttle farther. When they went to the 25 hp. they did add an oil cooler that goes on at the oil filter.