Z225 PTO issue

vinnied

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone may be able to help me figure out whats going on with my mower. The mower runs perfectly up until I engage the blades when the blades are engaged the engine will bog down once in a while and then run perfectly again when the blades are off. I know the issue has nothing to do with a locked up spindle or pulley because it will to the same thing with the belt off (so no extra load on the engine). I've jumped the seat safty switch (very quickly) to see if that changed anything and it didn't, so I am thinking that it has to be either the PTO switch it self or possibly a wire that is shorting out somewhere. Something else I should add is that I sprayed some WD-40 into the clutch anywhere I could (I know that probably wasn't the best idea but I had to try something so I could mow) with out removing it and it seems to have helped the issue a bit so maybe it could br a locked up bearing in the clutch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone may be able to help me figure out whats going on with my mower. The mower runs perfectly up until I engage the blades when the blades are engaged the engine will bog down once in a while and then run perfectly again when the blades are off. I know the issue has nothing to do with a locked up spindle or pulley because it will to the same thing with the belt off (so no extra load on the engine). I've jumped the seat safty switch (very quickly) to see if that changed anything and it didn't, so I am thinking that it has to be either the PTO switch it self or possibly a wire that is shorting out somewhere. Something else I should add is that I sprayed some WD-40 into the clutch anywhere I could (I know that probably wasn't the best idea but I had to try something so I could mow) with out removing it and it seems to have helped the issue a bit so maybe it could br a locked up bearing in the clutch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

You have an electrical problem.
When turning the PTO on you are putting a big electrical load on the engine.
If there is a problem with the PTO clutch or a wiring problem it can be even more.
The actual problem will be with the governor because when the engine is under load & bogs down the governor should back off allowing the throttle to open up.
You are going to need 2 people to do this .
Some one needs to watch the governor when the blades are engaged and check that it moves to open the throttle .
If not try moving it by hand to see if it is stuck.

vinnied

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have an electrical problem.
When turning the PTO on you are putting a big electrical load on the engine.
If there is a problem with the PTO clutch or a wiring problem it can be even more.
The actual problem will be with the governor because when the engine is under load & bogs down the governor should back off allowing the throttle to open up.
You are going to need 2 people to do this .
Some one needs to watch the governor when the blades are engaged and check that it moves to open the throttle .
If not try moving it by hand to see if it is stuck.

The governor seems to be opening as it should, I will double check but I have to get a rebuild kit for the carb because I tried to reassemble it with the old gasket so now to mower will hardly ever start, and why would the governor be an electrical problem isn't the mechanism that controls that mechanical inside the engine? Sorry, don't know much about carburated engines. Thank you for your input though!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The governor seems to be opening as it should, I will double check but I have to get a rebuild kit for the carb because I tried to reassemble it with the old gasket so now to mower will hardly ever start, and why would the governor be an electrical problem isn't the mechanism that controls that mechanical inside the engine? Sorry, don't know much about carburated engines. Thank you for your input though!

The engine is boggin down because the PTO clutch is putting an electrical load on the engine.
The load from the PTO clutch should not be enough to slow down the engine , thus an electrical problem.

When the engine slows down the governor should open up the throttle to compensate for the load.
So 2 problems. Easy one to check is the governor because you can see feel move it.
electricity is a touch harder

vinnied

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is boggin down because the PTO clutch is putting an electrical load on the engine.
The load from the PTO clutch should not be enough to slow down the engine , thus an electrical problem.

When the engine slows down the governor should open up the throttle to compensate for the load.
So 2 problems. Easy one to check is the governor because you can see feel move it.
electricity is a touch harder

Sorry for such a late reply but the issue was resolved with a carb replacment, the old one was bad. Thanks for your opinion though!