Can't push or pull yardman riders

hrdman2luv

Threads
I have some older model yardman mowers that I thought I'd fix up and sell. None of them are running yet. But I noticed when I was loading them into the trailer, that when I try to push them, one wheel turns one way, and the other tries to turn the opposite way.
The release lever that sticks up from the center is in the right position. On another, the lever stick out the back. Anyways, regardless of their position, in or out, the wheels still spin the opposite direction.

I'm guessing, that because all 4 of them, have the same problem, that either I'm not doing something right. Or this is a common problem.

I can't move them into the shop, or anywhere for that matter, until I solve this.

This isn't the actual picture. But it's almost identical to this.
forum_4788.jpg

NorthBama

Threads
the brake disk may be stuck if they have been sitting up for some time

hrdman2luv

Threads
the brake disk may be stuck if they have been sitting up for some time

That's what I was thinking at first. But when I jacked the rear end up, and turned on of the wheels, the other turned the opposite way. So, it can't be the brakes, because they turn freely. Just in opposite directions.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's what I was thinking at first. But when I jacked the rear end up, and turned on of the wheels, the other turned the opposite way. So, it can't be the brakes, because they turn freely. Just in opposite directions.
Incorrect, that's not how it works. The brake rotor drops out of the picture with both rear wheels up.

This is how perfectly good tractors are purchased at auction for about 15 -25 bucks. Both wheels slide so the differential must be locked up. Usually not so but the brake is stuck.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Incorrect, that's not how it works. The brake rotor drops out of the picture with both rear wheels up.

This is how perfectly good tractors are purchased at auction for about 15 -25 bucks. Both wheels slide so the differential must be locked up. Usually not so but the brake is stuck.

I guess I'm not following you. If the diffs were all locked up, then they wouldn't turn at all, would they? All of these, turn freely. Just in opposite directions (when they're off the ground).

I pull the release lever out. The clutch/brake peddle isn't pressed. And still one tire spins one way. And the other one spins the other way.
If you're saying they're locked together, then there must be something in there, that's not releasing, when I push the release lever.
I'll make a video of it later and post it.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I didn't say differentials are locked together. Yours is a standard differential and is not locked together. "Detroit Lockers" are locked together but not yours.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The differential is working just fine and doing what is designed to do. The differential sit inside the ring and pinion which isn't turning. This means that the problem lies in the transmission or brake system. So I agree with NorthBama check the brakes first.

NorthBama

Threads
Don't know what transmission you have but look under the right back wheel for a brake disk with a 1/2 nut loosen off on brake nut so disk can spin freely

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
May as well get puckered up to spend some time in this area if the spline / key / rotor bore, is rusted to the shaft. The rotor must slide on the shaft with very little pressure or it ain't gonna work right.

Attachments

• brake rotor 10-14-05.jpg
    brake rotor 10-14-05.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Murray brake  10-14-05.jpg
    Murray brake 10-14-05.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Murray rusty spline - brake - 2015.jpg
    Murray rusty spline - brake - 2015.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 11

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't know what transmission you have but look under the right back wheel for a brake disk with a 1/2 nut loosen off on brake nut so disk can spin freely

These pics ..may help to see... what Bama is referring to ... ( I hope )

..DSCN1522.jpg ...DSCN1528.jpg

yours may be different...???