Engine is700z

reloader64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Picking one up Monday but can't decide on Briggs commercial or the Kawasaki fs691v any suggestions because I hear don't get Briggs but if they were bad why would these company's used them on their mowers ....thanks

Lbutler225

Threads
Picking one up Monday but can't decide on Briggs commercial or the Kawasaki fs691v any suggestions because I hear don't get Briggs but if they were bad why would these company's used them on their mowers ....thanks

My next new purchase will be a Kawasaki............I surveyed several knowledable folks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd go with the Kawasaki as well.

Too many horror stories around about Briggs.

A friend has a Gravely ZT with 21hp Kawasaki. Over 1300 hours with nothing but spark plugs, air filters and oil changes. Neighbor has a JD tractor with Kawasaki horizontal shaft. Has run the holy hell out of it for at least ten years. At one time, he was mowing six and sometimes nine acres with it. AFAIK, it's never been in the shop.

I'm sure some people have had trouble with their Kawasaki's but how many complaints are there on here compared to complaints about Briggs?

loneryder

Threads
I recently purchased the is700z with the Briggs motor. The Kaw. was about 500 more and while I love Kawi engines, I didn't want to pay that much more. When Briggs bought Ferris, they realized they needed to come up with a commercial engine for the Ferris commercial mowers so as not have to depend on Kawi who is at production capacity. They couldn't throw their Intek crap in a quality mower like Ferris. They are assembled in USA and have no internal plastic parts. So far I like it very much. Plenty of power and smooth. Has a 3 yr warranty.

Etemplet

Threads
I purchased the Briggs Commercial as well. I've worked on my own equipment all my life and am more than comfortable with the Briggs. I probably would have preferred the Vanguard but I just don't put that many hours on the mowers to worry about such things. I believe in preventive maintenance and that is the key to keeping things operational. My first zero turn was a snapper that I purchased used in 1999. Love that mower. :) I put almost 1000 hours on it in 18 years. I gave it to my friend and he loves it as well. I believe the Briggs Commercial will meet all my needs and then some.

pauldeere

Threads
Purchased a new Z2100 with the B/S engine with a 61" deck a couple months ago. So far no problems with plenty of power. Mower came with a 4 year warranty. I had a John Deere 665 Z turn with a 60" deck that also had a B/S engine, it also ran flawless with plenty power. I personally think Briggs has done their homework on their newer engines. To stay competitive in the small engine market the buying public will not support substandard quality.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'd go with the Kawasaki as well.

Too many horror stories around about Briggs.

A friend has a Gravely ZT with 21hp Kawasaki. Over 1300 hours with nothing but spark plugs, air filters and oil changes. Neighbor has a JD tractor with Kawasaki horizontal shaft. Has run the holy hell out of it for at least ten years. At one time, he was mowing six and sometimes nine acres with it. AFAIK, it's never been in the shop.

I'm sure some people have had trouble with their Kawasaki's but how many complaints are there on here compared to complaints about Briggs?

About 10:1 which would be about the actual ratio of Briggs engines to Kawasaki engines.

Depends very much what level of mower you are talking about.
Kawasaki took Honda's place as the more expensive alternate engine so not all that many out there and the people who pay the extra $$$$ for the better quality engine usually also pay the $$$$ for proper maintanance.
Could not count the number of customers who come in with a totally clapped out engine telling me it has been a very good & reliable engine I have not touched it since new.
They get a bit pissed when I reply with "yes I can see that and now you need to replace the engine because it is an uneconomic repair"