Kohler Courage won't throttle down

Tanner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Working on my mother's Craftsman riding mower. Kohler Courage SV model. Fire it up and it runs wide open, with no throttle control. With it dead I inspected the operation of all the throttle linkages with the air box off. Choke works and cycles perfectly. Throttle cable actuates the governor linkage as it should, moving the pushrod connected to the throttle blade on the carb. Throttle blade linkage only moves slightly, but I assume that is probably the correct amount.

Here's where it's stumping me. With the engine running, lower the throttle lever and you get no movement from the governor arm. I can't even force any movement by putting pressure on the governor arm physically. Also noticing the pushrod between the governor linkage and the throttle plate has quite a bit of flex to it, it's just a little flimsy thing. But it doesn't seem to hamper actuation with motor dead.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

-Tanner

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Running WFO = Deceased governor.

Good thing is you don't have to pull then engine out of the mower to fix it .
BAd news is you have to open up the engine.
Remove both the drive belts from the underside .
Now pull the blower housing off, followed by the flywheel and stator.
The top plate will now come off
You will need a new cover plate gasket & governor.
Before you pull the cams out, rotate the engine so the two timing marks on the crank match up with the timing parks on the cams.
Both cams are identical .
Full pull down manual is available free on line.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look into the carb past the choke. Look at the plate in the back that looks like the choke. Should have two screws in it. Sometimes they full out.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Tanner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hell I may just tell her to leave it at full throttle and let her eat if it involves all that. I for the life of me can't understand why they don't keep it simple and just carry the throttle cable directly to the carb. Piss poor design, counter intuitive looking at it.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hell I may just tell her to leave it at full throttle and let her eat if it involves all that. I for the life of me can't understand why they don't keep it simple and just carry the throttle cable directly to the carb. Piss poor design, counter intuitive looking at it.

AT this point in time you are up for a governor
Run without it and you will be up for a new engine.
You will either throe a rod or throw the counterweight.

The reason why they put governors in small engines is because 99 % of mower users have no idea how to continually adjust the throttle to keep mowing at close to full power
And of the ones who do know how to do it 99% are too lazy
On top of that you need to maintain a fixed blade speed to make the deck work properly .
Without the governor the mower would speed up every time you are in light mowing conditions and ten go slower whenever there is a load on the blades making the mower close to undrivable.