Any ideas for adding lawn striping capability to a small LT?

AcadGrad81

Threads
  • / Any ideas for adding lawn striping capability to a small LT?
Sorry to start a new "any ideas" thread within two weeks of my last one. I've been bitten by the creative bug again, wanting to home-fab something functional and cheap. I want to add lawn striping capability to a small MTD LT that has little space (maybe 4 inches) between the deck and the right rear tire; I don't think I'd be able to mount a roller in such a tight space. I have plenty of room to work with between the deck and left rear tire, however.
I'd like to try mounting a "flap" at the trailing edge of the deck rather than tow something behind, as I have to frequently back up to work around trees and kid structures in the back yard. I have a piece of a truck mud flap that might work if I get the mounting concept down. We'll see what time allows for prototyping. When I back up, I'd expect the flap to curl under, but the idea is to not be so long as to contact the blades.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have seen flap type systems work ... sort of...
There is nothing like a roller system, but without room in front of the rear wheels... you might look tight in behind the rear wheels. That would take a bit of fabrication but it is doable. Around a 4 inch multi part roller should work well, but unless you are regularly watering your grass, we are about to get out of the frequent rains of spring and into the dryer part of summer... stripers work best on fast growing watered lawns. KennyV

Hand2ThePlow

Threads
we are about to get out of the frequent rains of spring and into the dryer part of summer... KennyV

From your mouth to God's ear, we had 2 more inches last night (June total now exceeds 10") and 3 tornados within 15 miles of home. A coworker told me this morning that he was moving to Seattle where it rains less often. :laughing:

We now return you to the lawn striping thread...

AcadGrad81

Threads
I have seen flap type systems work ... sort of...
There is nothing like a roller system, but without room in front of the rear wheels... you might look tight in behind the rear wheels. That would take a bit of fabrication but it is doable. Around a 4 inch multi part roller should work well, but unless you are regularly watering your grass, we are about to get out of the frequent rains of spring and into the dryer part of summer... stripers work best on fast growing watered lawns. KennyV
Appreciate you weighing in with some good ideas!

fixit1ddh

Threads
How about just buying a used Simplicity. We have been stripping the yard for over 50 years with them and would not buy anything else.:biggrin:

Leisure67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Made this couple weeks ago. Seems to work ok.
318-1-1.jpg

yard003.jpg

Last edited:

noma

Threads
Hi AcadGrad 81

Hi
Just wondering what lawn stripping does for your lawn? Is there a reason we do this or is this for looks only?Does that level out the hight spot or something, it look like you lawn does not need and thing done to it looks good and even.This might be a dumb question ,by i live in the country and i would not want to do that over 4 acres every time i mow i think i could wear that out very quickly.

bmwe0692

Forum Newbie
Threads
Might try boat trailer rollers. The kind that the boat rides up on,and sits on. Three (3) or four (4)
would be enough to go across the back. With a little adjustment they wouldn't be able to go under
the rear tires.
Just an idea.
T.J.

Threads
Noma, I could be wrong, but this is just for looks. It gives a very posh and manicured look to the grass. I'm sure someone will correct me if there is another benefit.