LT1042 woes...

dodgecub

Forum Newbie
Threads
LT 1042 riding mower.
Just replaced the coil, plug, oil, filter..air and fuel filters. Replaced the ig coil thinking that was the issue since it appears to be heat related. Set the coil gap to 0.010. Maybe its fuel related, but fuel can be seen in the filter as it starts to hiccup before just dying. Is there something else in the ignition system that might be heat related? Does this engine have a set of points/condenser?

thanks!!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cub Cadet (MTD) with a 19 HP Kohler Courage Why do you think you have a heat related problem? NO this engine doesn't have points and condenser.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start with the basics and work out weather it is fuel or spark.
Get an inline spark tester and fit it to the mower then watch it as the engine dies.
If it continues to spark all the way down then you have a fuel supply problem.If it looses spark you have an electrical problem.
Let us know how you go & we will take it from there

dodgecub

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cub Cadet (MTD) with a 19 HP Kohler Courage Why do you think you have a heat related problem? NO this engine doesn't have points and condenser.

Well, I think it must be a fueling issue. When it began to stumble/cut-out, I pulled back on choke about 1/2 way and it continued to run..slowly. Added some seafoam yesterday and maybe that is beginning to help? Maybe a rebuild kit for the carb is in order? Best place to purchase one?

thanks!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, I think it must be a fueling issue. When it began to stumble/cut-out, I pulled back on choke about 1/2 way and it continued to run..slowly. Added some seafoam yesterday and maybe that is beginning to help? Maybe a rebuild kit for the carb is in order? Best place to purchase one?

thanks!

I buy from Jacks small engine in the state of Maryland. You can also try E-Bay or the local Cub dealer. Before I would spend money on a repair kit I would just take the carburetor apart and clean it. You don't need a carburetor kit for that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Another thing than happens his way is debris in the fuel tank which gets sucked into the outlet and forms a plug preventing full fuel flow.
Then when the mower is stopped. it floats away.
When the engine starts running again it gets drawn towards the outlet hole again.
You "detect" this by slipping off the fuel line at the carb when the engine is cold and noting / measuring how much fuel flows.
When the engine stops, repeat, if the flow is noticably lower then you have a fuel line blockage or a fuel pump problem.