Shopping for my first zero turn Kubota - any tips?

bkwashpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Shopping for my first zero turn Kubota - any tips?
I got a pre approval from Kubota. I have a couple questions, hoping someone can educate me so I don't do something stupid...

I have about an acre, relatively flat. I may be helping cut some softball fields occasionally.

I'm interested in a 60", gas.

I really don't know the difference between models. I think I'd like a commercial unit since they're more well built.

Is it smart to shop around at the different dealers or will they all pretty much offer the same price/deal?

What accessories are smart to purchase? I was thinking the upgraded seat would be nice. I have lower back pain at times and thought this might soften the ride. I see there are briefcase weights(I believe that's what it was called). Guessing that'll help with grip/traction? For $35 it seems like a cheap upgrade.

Hope I'm not forgetting anything.

Thanks!

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got a pre approval from Kubota. I have a couple questions, hoping someone can educate me so I don't do something stupid...

I have about an acre, relatively flat. I may be helping cut some softball fields occasionally.

I'm interested in a 60", gas.

I really don't know the difference between models. I think I'd like a commercial unit since they're more well built.

Is it smart to shop around at the different dealers or will they all pretty much offer the same price/deal?

What accessories are smart to purchase? I was thinking the upgraded seat would be nice. I have lower back pain at times and thought this might soften the ride. I see there are briefcase weights(I believe that's what it was called). Guessing that'll help with grip/traction? For $35 it seems like a cheap upgrade.

Hope I'm not forgetting anything.

Thanks!

My best suggestion is to go buy a Tiger Cat Scag. I ran a ZD 326 for 800 hours and traded it on a Tiger Cat. I still have a ZG222. Neither one of them is even on the same planet as the Scag when it comes to cutting grass. I now have three Tiger Cats.

I started cutting grass full time in 2012 and from previous experience wth Kubota thought that they were probably the best thing out there. If you go back in the archives you will still find posts where I touted them as the best thing since sliced bread.

They are not junk as far as quality but they will not cut grass with the Scag.

Mr. Ed

Threads
Lots of great choices, and about the only thing you can do wrong is to buy a smaller/less capable machine than you really need. Dealer support is important, too.

Based on your comment about your back, get a suspension seat. Zero turns move along briskly, and small bumps on a garden tractor can become major (painful) impediments at speed on a ZT. It's probably cheaper, and a lot easier, to buy a machine with the right seat.

Have fun, and good luck!

Travlitt

Threads
I agree with jekjr on the scag ztr. I also cut grass as a business. I have a liquid cooled turf tiger and it is one of the best ztr made. I run 3 other ztr's, all comercial grade machines, but the scag is my favorate machine to operate.

pauly50

Threads
kubota zd331z ( i know of a couple that have clocked up 6000 hours of mowing , commercially ( been regular servicing )

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
kubota zd331z ( i know of a couple that have clocked up 6000 hours of mowing , commercially ( been regular servicing )

The better grade Kubota mowers are built like tanks and will run a long time. However if you want prestige buy one. If you want to cut grass get a Scag and do not look back. They will out cut the Kubota all day long and twice on Sunday. I have run the both in my business.

The 200 Series and 300 Series Kubota mowers are tough machines for sure. The 700 series mowers are spoken well of as well. None of them will out cut the Scags with a Velocity Deck though. The Commander series Kubota mowers are junk.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
60" is pretty big for just an acre.

52" to 54" will be plenty big for one acre and will fit nicely in a 2 wheel trailer if you need to take it someplace, like to the baseball fields.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
60" is pretty big for just an acre.

52" to 54" will be plenty big for one acre and will fit nicely in a 2 wheel trailer if you need to take it someplace, like to the baseball fields.

52" Tiger Cat with a 22hp Kawasaki is as good as you will get. You will be running it 30 years from now if you keep it serviced.