Need Help Tecumseh 13.5 hp running issue

Mharnisch

Threads
I have a yard machines (mtd) riding mower that started to act up just as I finished my last mow last year. It is a model 13A1660F000 with a Tecumseh 13.5 hp engine model OHV135-206904E. It ran great all last summer. Then, after finishing mowing, I disengaged the blades, and it started to act like it would if it was choked too much. It would run but would keep acting like it wanted to stop. The funny thing was that, when I engaged the blades, it ran fine. As soon as I disengaged the blades, it acted up again. In other words, it ran normally while under load, but ran erratically under no load. I ran the gas out and left it until now. The only thing I did different last year from previous years was that I added Seafoam to the gas at every use, even though I was not having any issues. I had bought Seafoam for my other mower that had issues and I just wanted to use the stuff up, thinking it wouldn't hurt anything. I just started to look at the mower now and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this problem. I did just notice that the gas cap is missing. I don't know if it might have fallen off as I was mowing, or if I just forgot to put it back on after I emptied the gas last year. But it doesn't seem like that would cause this problem. Does anyone have a suggestion? Will appreciate all help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it blowing black smoke when not under load, or just trying to die. I suspect the idle circuit in the carb is plugged and you are not getting fuel for no load operation. Either way the problem is the idle circuit inside the carb.

Mharnisch

Threads
Is it blowing black smoke when not under load, or just trying to die. I suspect the idle circuit in the carb is plugged and you are not getting fuel for no load operation. Either way the problem is the idle circuit inside the carb.

Did not blow black smoke as far as I remember. I just now decided to give it a try since sitting all winter. I went out and gassed it up and found the gas cap right where I left it last year, sitting on the mower. My battery has been bad for a couple years, so I jumped it off my truck. It started fine just like it always did. And it continued to run for at least 10 minutes at idle just fine. Just to be sure, I engaged the blades and it continued to run fine. Looks like it just needed a good winter rest. Hope it holds. What you suggest does make sense, since the only problem was during idle. I wonder if the Seafoam I used last year loosened up something and carried it into the idle circuit. I do have an inline filter, so I will plan on replacing it. In case the problem returns, can the idle circuit be cleaned by a do it yourselfer?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It can be cleaned by the average person. Some of those engines in that hp class have a plastic bowl assembly held on with a wire bail. If that is the case, all of the fuel circuits are contained in the bowl. Most shops just replaced the bowl assembly when there was a problem.

Mharnisch

Threads
It can be cleaned by the average person. Some of those engines in that hp class have a plastic bowl assembly held on with a wire bail. If that is the case, all of the fuel circuits are contained in the bowl. Most shops just replaced the bowl assembly when there was a problem.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if that is what I have. Bought this mower used in 2007 and haven't even had to change a belt in all that time. Hopefully the problem solved itself. I appreciate your help.