Repairs Self propel issue - Toro 22" Recycler, front wheel drive

eshock

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Self propel issue - Toro 22" Recycler, front wheel drive
The transmission in my 22" Recycler went bad (the seal on the bearing came off, and went down into the gears, locking them up). Replacing the transmission assembly (Part 106-3955) was my best option. The replacement job went very smoothly, and while they were caked with grease, I was able to salvage and re-use the compression springs and keys from the original axel.

(Side note, for the convenience of those reading this, I've linked to this parts diagram of the mower I have, including the parts involved and will refer to those parts with the number shown on the diagram)

After double and triple checking to ensure that all washers and pieces were reapplied the same way they went on (I took several photos while taking it apart, and kept everything in particular order), I hoped the job was completed. Prior to taking the mower down from the sawhorses I had it up on, I manually turned the front wheels to ensure the transmission pulley (23) was spinning and turning the proper direction as well. Sure enough, it did. Turn the wheels backwards, and I heard the audible ratchet sound as the keys (15) disengaged from the sprocket (4) in the wheels. Took it down, and fired up the mower. I engaged the drive with the wheels up in the air, just to double-check to make sure I hadn't reversed the sprockets to put them in reverse. Again, everything was (seemingly) kosher. I set the mower down and the moment the wheels touched the ground, they stopped turning. That is where I am at now... Whenever the wheels have a load on them, the drive will not work. I should also mention that the pulley is still turning, and as I had not put the cover (26) back on, I can tell that the axel is still spinning the proper direction. The wheels do turn if they're lifted up off the ground. So, whatever issue exists must be in the wheels.

Here is what I have tried and checked so far:
1. The front wheels (2) do not have excessive wear on the plastic teeth of their gearing. (Everything was fine until the old transmission went bad)
2. The sprockets (4) do not have excessive wear on their outer teeth.
3. The keys were installed with their flat side facing up/outwards, curved side into the axle against the compression springs
4. Washers all were re-installed in the same order they came off, and as shown on the parts diagram. Ring clips were pinched shut a little bit so I could make sure they would snap back on.
5. The pulley has been tightened and triple-checked (I confess that it took vice grips on the axel to keep everything from turning while I tightened them down)
6. The first thing I attempted to adjust was the tension cable going to the bail/handle. That's now at its "lowest" setting, and it takes a pretty good bit of strength to pull the bail all the way up to the handle, so its engaging well.
7. Again, I can observe the pulley and even the axle itself turning. But the wheels won't unless they're up in the air.
8. Both wheels are suffering the same issue, so whatever I done did wrong, I done did it to both sides.

Right now, my best guess is that they keys are not engaging the sprockets properly. If the keys came slightly off center, they might not be catching the sprokect's inside edges fully, thus causing them to slip whenever there's the least bit of resistance. Or, there is dirt/hard grease built up on the edge that I didn't pay close enough attention to, which is causing the keys to slip. (I should mention that the springs and keys had a lot of grease/gunk built up on them, and it took some effort to get the springs out of the old axel as a result, and the ratchet sound when pulling backwards is much more pronounced now). My other theory is that the sprockets are not meshing good with the wheels for some reason (I didn't get something lined up right when I put the wheels back on, or maybe even made a brain-fart moment and put the left wheel on the right side???)

Before I rush out and drop $30 on new sprockets or even just $10 on new springs and keys, I want to make sure I nail the right issue. Obviously something else is worn out, or I didn't put something back together the right way, so I ask the experts for some input.

eshock

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Self propel issue - Toro 22" Recycler, front wheel drive
ISSUE FIXED

I was able to locate a service manual, and in reading discovered that the sprockets should have been marked "R" on one side and "L" on the other. I removed the sprockets, and found one of them that still had a discernable "R" on one side. Of course, when looking at the service manual's instructions, it was reversed. So, in short, I put the sprockets back on backwards.

For anyone else attempting the same repair, the service manual also recommends coating the spring and key in anti-sieze. When I got it apart to begin with, it seemed to be a thick graphite lube, but it was just old anti-sieze.