Repairs New Drive Belt Will Not Propel Lawn Tractor

BiC

Threads
If you watch the video you'll notice that the transaxle slows down slips and the belt continues turning so I would not think that it's in the transaxle itself. As far as it's slowing down while he's mowing in wet and Tall Grass. bet it got water on the belt and made it slip.

Technically, the tall grasses I was mowing were dead (winter) grasses/weeds. So, it was dry at the time. I'll admit though, my lawn tractor was not designed to cut grasses/weeds 3 ft high (you know... moving forward only half way, backing up, and then mowing over it again. Rinse and repeat.) I knew I was pushing its limits. If it isn't the belt, then I likely overworked the trans. I'll see tomorrow when I get a new, shorter belt.

BiC

Threads
Bic this is really buggin me... it's makin us guys here look like klutz's ..and that ain't so..
going back to the beginning... I'm thinking you said you were mowing tall grass.... then the problem...
if the belt wasn't slipping while you were cutting and it didn't break ... GEEZ I hate to say this... maybe something in your trans has failed... you did check the pulley on the "box" = (transaxle)..?? is there any belt adjuster that may have broken or come loose...only other thing I can think of is a wrong belt ... I know for a fact certain mowers are "fussy" and require OEM belts .. then... some aftermarket belts are not made to correct specs. and finally the possibility that your new belt was a mistaken number .. other than that ... I wouldn't go outside if it's lightning ...( LOL )

I did look/feel around the transaxle, but did not see anything unusual. But, I agree... perhaps it's the trans. I will certainly post an update after the new belt arrives and I get it installed. Maybe I'll video that too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is the routing diagram on my tractor (and in my owner's manual) wrong?

I am following the diagram from the front of the tractor (engine pulley) to the rear.

The "top" pulley is the one on the tranny with the fan on it.
hold the shaft while trying to turn the pulley to check the spline on top of the box has not stripped.
They are designed to do this to protect the box.
As previously mentioned double check the belt is properly seated in the box pulley and also on the engine pulley.
Run your fingers around the pulley to make sure the belt is properly seated in the pulley as it can pop off and sit on top of the pulley however when that happens the belt usually runs quite slow.

The pulleys do look wrong, idlers come as flat & V profiles, the back of the belt runs on flat idlers & the V runs in V idlers which is not happening in the video.
Numbering them 1,2,3 from the new pulley as No 1
The belt would normally go V side around No 1 pulley then flat side around No 2 pulley then around the engine pulley then back down to the No 3 pulley but running on the other side of the pulley.
The belt keepers are free to move around the pulley once the nut is loosened.
Routed that way the existing belt would pull tighter.
Have a close look under the mower for wear marks in the paint.
If there is a polished section where the belt has been running and now the belt clears that place then the routing s wron.
I find it a lot easier to put some glad wrap over the fuel filler then screw the cap back on to stop fuel draining out of the tank vent, remove the battery then stand the mower vertical so I can work in a comfortable position and see clearly what I am doing without eating dried grass

BiC

Threads
The pulleys do look wrong, idlers come as flat & V profiles, the back of the belt runs on flat idlers & the V runs in V idlers which is not happening in the video.

I've tripled checked (x2+) the routing according to the routing diagram in both the manual and the sticker diagram on the tractor. It is routed correctly according to the diagram. The only pulley I have replaced since owning the tractor (brand new) has been that new, black V-idler. The pulley closest to that black one is also a V-idler. The other one nearly out of view in the video (closest to the engine pulley) is a flat pulley- the only flat pulley out of the three.

BTW, my new belt (shorter one) that should have arrived today has been delayed en route. Hopefully it will be here by Saturday, at which time I will let everyone know if that was the issue.

Thank you everyone for your time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well either the diagram is wrong or you are reading it wrong because you never run the V on a flat pulley because it promoted the belt twisting hen turning upside down and that is the ned of you belt.
To me it seems like you have the belt run mirror image reversed.
Being a touch on the dyslexic side I can pick that problem having done the same thing several times myself.
Some times the stickers that are supposed to go on the deck so you are looking at the run from an above plan view get put underneath the mower floor thus you think it is a view from underneath whereas it is a view from to top so they get mirror reversed.
In the manual & on parts books the belt run is always shown from ABOVE.

As mentioned , get it up in the air and check for belt scuffing on other parts.

BiC

Threads
Well either the diagram is wrong or you are reading it wrong because you never run the V on a flat pulley because it promoted the belt twisting hen turning upside down and that is the ned of you belt.

But, I'm not running the V side of the belt on the flat pulley. The two pulleys which you can clearly and wholly see in the video are both V with the V side of the belt running on them. The lighting makes that middle pulley look like a flat pulley, but I assure you it is a v pulley. You can only see about 1/4 of the flat pulley in the video- at the top of the video.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The belt configuration is correct on the pulleys. The pulley to the front of the mower is a flat idler, the next one back is a V idler, and the most rear pulley on the right in the video is a V idler. Either the belt isn't installed on the engine pulley or transmission pulley, or the belt is too long. Wouldn't be the first parts diagram I have seen that had incorrect part numbers.

BiC

Threads
The belt configuration is correct on the pulleys. The pulley to the front of the mower is a flat idler, the next one back is a V idler, and the most rear pulley on the right in the video is a V idler. Either the belt isn't installed on the engine pulley or transmission pulley, or the belt is too long. Wouldn't be the first parts diagram I have seen that had incorrect part numbers.

Amen.

It's definitely too long. Hopefully the new one I have on the way is the fix to the issue.

mhavanti

Threads
BIC

I agree that your belt is on correctly since all the belt retainers meet the pulleys where they'd belong if routed correctly. However, it appears to me that the belt is too deep in each pulley which may mean the belt angles are too acute allowing the belt to sit down into the groove too deeply which would allow slack in your application.

Thus, you could have two things going on as far as the belt. Too long, too narrow.

I have been wrong before.

Good luck with the new belt.

Max

BiC

Threads
The new, shorter (3/4" shorter) belt is on, and things seem to be working as they should. I will know in due time if the belt holds up.

Here is the newest belt I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TARR9Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached is a photo of the belt (packaging) I received:

New Belt.jpg

Here is a video of the new belt in action:

https://youtu.be/E_UCNDy_Xso

Again, thank you all for the support. I've learned a couple of things. One is not to doubt my ability to correctly read a belt routing schematic (pictured in the video to the right as I am driving up and down the ramps). :wink:

I'll Likely see you around the forums. God Bless, and have a very blessed Easter!

~Rod

+BiC><> (Brother in Christ)