Blowing gas

Patio

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wish i could be more specific on what make, and model of craftsman riding mower i have but it is not close by. My question though is I believe a pretty general one. my mower was back firing alot, and then just stopped running. i went to do a full tune-up on it, and when i pulled the spark plug all the gas came out the spark plug hole? what most likely is the problem? being i am somewhat mechanically inclined could i repair it myself? and last of all if I needed to take it to a professional, approxiamately how much am i looking at to fix it???

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

screamincobra

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wish i could be more specific on what make, and model of craftsman riding mower i have but it is not close by. My question though is I believe a pretty general one. my mower was back firing alot, and then just stopped running. i went to do a full tune-up on it, and when i pulled the spark plug all the gas came out the spark plug hole? what most likely is the problem? being i am somewhat mechanically inclined could i repair it myself? and last of all if I needed to take it to a professional, approxiamately how much am i looking at to fix it???

Hey. Have you checked to see if there is any spark to the plug?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
gas running out of the spark plug hole is usually an indication that the needle valve in the carb is not sealing and allowing gas to overflow the carb.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes ....rebuild the carb.... [if you dont know the history or if its been 5 years].....float needle is a common culprit..maybe they'll sell it alone...also there some different gadgets for testing spark..like the in line tester with the see thru glass or the one i have pictured........or with spark plug plier {like im showing} take plug out..connect it to the wire and hold threads against engine block and have someone else pull start or crank it to check spark

Attachments

• IMG_0623[1].jpg
    IMG_0623[1].jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0624[1].jpg
    IMG_0624[1].jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 13

Patio

Forum Newbie
Threads
gas running out of the spark plug hole is usually an indication that the needle valve in the carb is not sealing and allowing gas to overflow the carb.

With you not knowing the exact engine. how difficult do you think it would be for me to replace the needle valve on this carboretor, or possibly do a full carboretor tune-up?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
well again, i speculate without seeing it...your fuel bowl may have a nut and solenoid plug like this[see pictures] unsrcew and remove..if you get that far send me another message:smile: ..also vice grip your fuel line near carb to stop gas from draining...

Attachments

• IMG_0637[1].jpg
    IMG_0637[1].jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0640[1].jpg
    IMG_0640[1].jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0638[1].jpg
    IMG_0638[1].jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0639[1].jpg
    IMG_0639[1].jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 16

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
if it is a briggs engine you may be able to just remove the fuel bowl and pull the float pin, drop the float and needle valve, clean the seat area with some spray type carb cleaner and then install a new needle valve. about same procedure for kohler but may need to remove air filter housing to gain access to carb. sometimes even with a new needle valve they sometimes won't seat and may have to polish the seat area with a q tip dipped in valve grinding compound to smooth the seat are before it will seat. on twin cylinder engines (briggs and kohler) you may have to remove carb to have room to remove the fuel bowl. on some briggs engines you may be able to remove the air filter housing and then remove the top of carb to access float area.

Patio

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have some info off the mower if this is helpful? The motor is a briggs and stratton intek 18 ohv. the motor is on a craftsman riding mower model 917.272751, make LT1000. i am currently trying to find a carb rebuild kit. the input so far has been very encouraging. Thanks