Grasshopper 1212 How do I move this thing without skidding the drive tires?

user4579

Threads
  • / Grasshopper 1212 How do I move this thing without skidding the drive tires?
Good Day All! I just bought an old 1987 Grasshopper 1212 Needs some TLC for sure! 1st problem is doesn't yet run. Other Hydrostat drive mowers I've had all had a lever or a way to disengage the Hydraulics so you can move or push them without starting the engine. I downloaded the operators Manual but nothing it about putting it in "Neutral" so to speak. Thanks in Advance for your help!! Steve

173abn

Threads
pop your seat up,the hydro pumps are equipped w/a dump valve that allows you to move the mower w/o power.located on the lower left side toward the front of each hydro pump.activate the dump valve by rotating counter clockwise....russ

user4579

Threads
pop your seat up,the hydro pumps are equipped w/a dump valve that allows you to move the mower w/o power.located on the lower left side toward the front of each hydro pump.activate the dump valve by rotating counter clockwise....russ

Thanks A Bunch Russ!! I'll get out to the shop Saturday and see if I can find them.

user4579

Threads
HuH! This is weird. I found the dump valve thing. It has a 1/4" bolt sticking out about an inch or a bit more. At he base of it, is a 5/8" nut that I can't get to with a wrench of any kind. It also has a wire bail on it that looks like it might pull out and slip over the 1/4" bolt in the center. this is on the right Hydro. The left tone is hidden behind shields and the hyd reserve tank. I know it's an old mower, but why was it made so you can't get to them without dismantling a good part of the mower?DSCF1572.jpgDSCF1569.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you try getting to them from under the mower?

user4579

Threads
Thanks for the thought! Yeah, I picked up the back about 2 feet. The floor of the frame on both sides stop me from getting to them from underneath. I might get to them if I drop the PTO shaft assy. Someone wasn't thinking when they designed this. Guess I'll start taking the springs, shields and brackets off to get to them.