Mower Only Works W/O Air Filter

db9091

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, new to forum.

I have a honda push with assisted. HRR2168VKA

4 years old. Started this Spring in NC, then choked out with puffs of smoke (looking too rich)
I changed the gas. Nothing. Changed the spark plug, oil, air filter and string pull. Nothing.
I took out the air filter, shot some WD40 in there, started, ran no problem.
Put air filter back in, choked off. Put old filter back in, choked off. Took out, ran fine.

So I took the muffler off. Ran fine, put filter back in, choked off.
Put muffler back on, cut house air filter and put it in, ran fine.

I took the carburetor off, checked out the insides, looks clean. I typically use E10 87.

Thats what I got now, a house air filter (fiber with metal mesh) cut to size.

I have a new Honda mower, so getting this fixed doesn't need to be fast.

All i've seen so far online is some people think air may be getting into a gap, but I don't see that. Is there something that can cause gas to go in too fast?
I haven't replaced the gas filter.

Suggestions appreciated, TIA.

enigma-2

Threads
Hi, new to forum.

I have a honda push with assisted. HRR2168VKA

4 years old. Started this Spring in NC, then choked out with puffs of smoke (looking too rich)
I changed the gas. Nothing. Changed the spark plug, oil, air filter and string pull. Nothing.
I took out the air filter, shot some WD40 in there, started, ran no problem.
Put air filter back in, choked off. Put old filter back in, choked off. Took out, ran fine.

So I took the muffler off. Ran fine, put filter back in, choked off.
Put muffler back on, cut house air filter and put it in, ran fine.

I took the carburetor off, checked out the insides, looks clean. I typically use E10 87.

Thats what I got now, a house air filter (fiber with metal mesh) cut to size.

I have a new Honda mower, so getting this fixed doesn't need to be fast.

All i've seen so far online is some people think air may be getting into a gap, but I don't see that. Is there something that can cause gas to go in too fast?
I haven't replaced the gas filter.

Suggestions appreciated, TIA.
Did you leave gas that contains Ethanol, in the mower over the winter? If so, the carb is probably gunked up and needs cleaning.

Sounds similar to one I had. I had one so bad I had to ran it over to the local dealer. He disassembled and run it through his ultrasonic cleaner. Still would not clear so he had to manually run fine wire through the tiny jets until he found the jet that was clogged. Doesn't take much. Never leave gas that contains Ethanol, set for more than two weeks else it begins to separate and draw moisture to itself. Over winter the Ethanol forms gunk and clogs the carbs jets. Always use an Ethanol stabilizer product as soon as you fill your gas can at the gas station.

Try mixing some SeaFoam in with your gas and then running the engine until the mixture fulls the carb. then shut it off and let it sit for a few days. The Seafoam "may" disolve the varnish and get everything running clear again. I've used it with good success over the years.