Somewhat theoretical question about 'power'

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I've read that a 12 Amp corded electric mower maxes out at about 1.5 hp . That seems to jibe well with 1 hp = about 746 watts, if you allow some 'loss' thru a long cord and motor efficiency I guess. (theoretical is around 1.9hp)

say my GW twinforce hits some tall grass and kicks into 'high power' mode. What is the power available? or, what power is being used just before 'stall'?

seems to me, whether it's my GW 40V mower or some other more recent generation of cordless electric, they could be built to deliver more 'power' than any typical corded electric, and the 'potential' exists to match or even out power a small gas mower. At least on an 'as needed' basis with a load sensing mode.

any power or wattage ratings for cordless electrics?

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
I think you can back calculate the power based on the battery capacity and runtime. So if your TwinForce motors are running under load and your 146 Wh battery gives you a half hour runtime, then your total power draw is 292 Watts, or 146 Watts per motor. As to the ultimate power capacity of the motors, it will depend on the maximum current they can handle. Assuming the battery voltage is 36 vdc under load, then the motors in this example are drawing an average 4 Amps. Unless the motors are running on high power for the entire time, it's hard to say how much current is needed in this situation unless you could replicate it and measure the actual runtime. Ultimately, the higher the motor voltage, then the higher will be the maximum power that can be generated. None of this really matters if the mower is capable of handling the cutting conditions, and I've yet to encounter a situation with my mowers equipped with load sensing that they couldn't handle.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
if peak current from a battery could be captured while mowing tall grass, it should be easy to get a ballpark estimate. I bet you can get more than 4 amps out of those batteries - the connector blades are pretty big!

MowerMike

Threads
if peak current from a battery could be captured while mowing tall grass, it should be easy to get a ballpark estimate. I bet you can get more than 4 amps out of those batteries - the connector blades are pretty big!

No doubt you can draw a lot more current from the battery at the peril of a massive reduction in run time. I have an Ego blower that features a boost button that reduces the average runtime from 30 to less than 10 minutes. As to how much current you can draw in any tool, it will depend on many factors such as the size of the motor(s) and the gauge of the internal wiring. At some point the current draw will cause excessive voltage drop in the battery and its internal circuitry will cause it to shut down.