1st time buyer - please help me pick one of these!

djk312

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 1st time buyer - please help me pick one of these!

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
I do not know how much help I could be but I think automatic may be referring to a CVT style drive that has two pulleys and a belt (like a snowmobile) and the hydrostatic is a fluid drive. There are likely pros and cons to each which I could not tell you. It would take some research into the different drive manufacturers to really tell them apart; meaning drive speed, axle torque and so on. As for Sears vs Deere, since Sears do not make their own mowers, I have never really liked them, I figure I would just buy directly from MTD or Husqvarna, but when they are discounted $300-500 that is quite significant. The Deere, although a D series, should be more than enough for you 1/2 acre. Just take care of it and keep up on oil, lube, wearables and it should last. I am not a Deere fan at all, but if these were my only three options, that is what I would go with. Hope this helps a bit.

Mike

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
In my opinion and only my opinion they are poorly built over price junk. This is only my opinion.

The link I posted was the first link you posted. No idea why it does not work.

BoylermanCT

Threads
The difference in the Craftsmans is one has the speed and direction (forward vs reverse) controlled by a lever on the rear fender. The other has speed and direction controlled by a foot pedal. I would vote for the foot pedal, I think it is more convenient and that way you can keep one hand on the steering wheel and the other on your drink!

Bwells

Threads
I would go with the one with the forward/reverse lever on the fender as it is much more convenient. It is the first link you posted and that is what I have, easy to use over a pedal and there is a cup holder for the beer.

cruzenmike

Threads
Hi,
In the market for my first riding lawn mower. I have a 1/2 acre yard with a very minor hill. I've spent entirely too much time researching options and have narrowed it down to the following three. I'm not entirely clear on the difference between automatic and hydrostatic. Any insight at all would be much appreciated. And please let me know if you need any more info in order to best recommend one of these.

Thanks!

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-46in...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-46in...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3
https://www.lowes.com/pd/John-Deere...awn-Mower-with-Mulching-Capability/1000095504

What did you end up going with and how is it working out?