Scag SCR 48-25CH S/N5590586

opaljohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,I would like to know how lubrication of bearings is done on the cutting deck, one would presume they are pre-packed?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unless you have grease zerks on the spindles then the bearing will be a semi sealed type that don't require further lubrication. I say semi sealed because there is some grease exchange from outside in causes where they have used seal bearings, and greaseable spindles,. the problem is most people over grease the bearings, and blow the seals out, which is worse than not greasing them at all.

opaljohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unless you have grease zerks on the spindles then the bearing will be a semi sealed type that don't require further lubrication. I say semi sealed because there is some grease exchange from outside in causes where they have used seal bearings, and greaseable spindles,. the problem is most people over grease the bearings, and blow the seals out, which is worse than not greasing them at all.

Your right on the button with blowing the seals, even though the bearings are pre packed the scag is seven years old & I would like to at least pump some grease into the blade shafts, sounds like a strip job. Thank you for the info, Cheers

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you check the owners manual there is generally a bearing replacement schedule as part of routine maintanance.
Great Dane ( defunct commercial brand ) recommended replacing the spindle bearings every year,'
They go around 3-4 years in the mowers I service.
Spindle bearings take a beating and should be tapered rollers.
In fact some of the really good mowers did fit tapered rollers, but they are expensive to fit and require a modicum of inteligence to maintain.
Thus deep groove balls which are again a second best alternative but very cheap.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The spindles have a grease fitting and a vent and per the operators manual are to be greased at 40 hour intervals with a particular spec grease. These grease fittings are on the spindle housing above the deck. They do have back to back tapered roller bearings and shaft seals on each end.
Check out your manual in the archive section of Scag operators manuals at www.scag.com/manuals.html

opaljohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you check the owners manual there is generally a bearing replacement schedule as part of routine maintanance.
Great Dane ( defunct commercial brand ) recommended replacing the spindle bearings every year,'
They go around 3-4 years in the mowers I service.
Spindle bearings take a beating and should be tapered rollers.
In fact some of the really good mowers did fit tapered rollers, but they are expensive to fit and require a modicum of inteligence to maintain.
Thus deep groove balls which are again a second best alternative but very cheap.

Thank you Bert for the info, I will check the locations for grease nipples, Cheers