Descision Descision Raptor vs Raptor Sd

Bigmks

Threads
Good Evening

I'm looking to purchase a rapotor sd either an 36" or 42" deck in the next couple of days. I could get away with a regular raptor since this is going to be used on my own lawn which is less than half an acre. Any suggestion or comments will help. Also why doesn't the raptor come with an engine guard. I have been looking online to find the part # for the engine guard for the raptor sd 36" or 42" ztr , but i haven't had any luck.

michigan_Rapter sd

Threads
the 60" comes with a engine guard - so when I bought my 54 I had to order one as the wife might back into something

Bigmks

Threads
where can i order one for a raptor sd 36" or 42" deck. I'm undecided about what size i should buy.

Gringeaux

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went through same process last spring. I decided on 36 SD. With a smaller yard the 36SD fits tight spaces better, has highest tip speed, heavier deck, taller deck, larger spindles, serviceable drives. Biggest decision was size as they were priced the same last year. I went from a Home Depot Toro 42 to the SD36 and feel it is s better and more substantial mower. Hope this helps.

bh2o

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the regular old Raptor. Bought in 2014- I believe. Every year in April, my drive belt breaks. They engineered a fix last year, per Hustler. Hopefully it holds. Yesterday the "deck pivot kit" bolt broke. I was mad. $39. Fixed and finished mowing this morning.

The Raptor has been aggravating. But, aside from my belt issue, I haven't had any other problems. If I had the choice I'd go with the SD. They weren't around when I bought mine. By the way, mine is a 52" and I have 1.5 acres.

-Todd

Mr. Mower

Threads
Like someone previously posted, I also had to purchase a "rear engine guard" for my 54" Hustler Raptor Flip Up and installed it myself (not difficult at all to do). You would figure that this would be a standard feature (considering the cost $ of a Hustler) on all their mowers? I also installed a LED light kit that was available for my particular Hustler as well.

Both of these added accessories had to be ordered through an authorized Hustler dealer.

So to find the specific part number for your specific Hustler model mower I would strongly suggest that you either 1.) Call Hustler Corp. directly and speak to a representative (or even visit their website).....or 2.) Call an authorized Hustler dealer and they should be able to help you out and find what you need.

Believe me though, you definitely want to order the "right/correct" part number for that specific engine guard for your specific mower because if not and you receive a different style/model you'll be very disappointed.

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

retfr8flyr

Threads
I was in the same boat last year and decided to go with the SD. I got the 48" deck and I have been very happy with everything so far. I agree the rear guard plate should be included, I also had to order one and install it. I really wouldn't trust mowing near brush or woods without the guard.

MOMO

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just picked up a new Hustler SD 48" this afternoon and it is still sitting in the back of my pickup parked in the shop and waiting for the rain to quit so I can unload it. My Hustler dealer had the engine guard in stock and installed it for me and just charged his cost (supposedly) for the guard...around $70.00. I also got 3 Hustler T shirts and 2 hats as freebees. Total out the door with tax and guard was $3,997.00...how does that price compare to others?

L454S

Threads
About 3 years ago I got my Raptor SD 54" for $4000, so it seems today that would be about right for a 48.

Bigmks

Threads
About 3 years ago I got my Raptor SD 54" for $4000, so it seems today that would be about right for a 48.

Purchased my new hustler sd 36" inch cut today! It will be delivered this week. I ordered mulching kit so that I can take that big rubber discharge off. Also ordered engine guard. I'm ready to do some cutting. The raptor sd is one solid built machine! I chooses the 36 over the 42 for storage reason in my shed. Man I feel like a kid again. Bye bye old regular riding lawn mower!!! Will post pic as soon as it arrives.