Engine Foreign made ignition modules (coils)?

parkboy

Threads
Six months ago I had never owned a Lawn Boy and now I have 4! Is this a great country or what? Considering that 2 of these have electronic ignition, I thought it would be a good idea to pick up a replacement ignition module before mowing season - just in case. I see that after market/foreign made coils get a pretty bad rap. However, I thought I read somewhere that a coat of spar varnish or paint would prevent them from taking moisture and reduce failure. The problem is I don't know where I saw or heard about this. Has anyone had experience/success with this treatment?

jp1961

Threads
I've never heard of coating the module with varnish or paint, but it wouldn't hurt it. You may want to use just clear spray paint. Just make sure to remove the paint where it makes contact to the engine.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

lewb

Threads
Six months ago I had never owned a Lawn Boy and now I have 4! Is this a great country or what? Considering that 2 of these have electronic ignition, I thought it would be a good idea to pick up a replacement ignition module before mowing season - just in case. I see that after market/foreign made coils get a pretty bad rap. However, I thought I read somewhere that a coat of spar varnish or paint would prevent them from taking moisture and reduce failure. The problem is I don't know where I saw or heard about this. Has anyone had experience/success with this treatment?

I have not had any issues with a 15.00 cdi, You could always buy 2 and still be less than an oem. I did think I had an issue with an china vs oem as I kept fouling a plug, turns out it was an partially plugged exhaust port.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Yes I have done that on older units like old outboard boat motors. You just give them ONE dip in varnish and let dry, not paint.