Ethanol gas (food for thought)

TonyPrin

Threads
I buy non ethanol gas for my mowers.

The reason I buy non ethanol is because I'd always heard alcohol will absorb moisture in the air/tank and that's what causes phase separation. Not so much the the ethanol itself separates from the gasoline but when moisture is introduced to the mixture. But I'm not a petroleum expert.

Not this spring but spring of 2016, somehow water got into my lawnmower's tank over the winter. The only thing I could think of was I forgot to top the tank off before putting it up for the season. Then over the winter, condensation formed in the tank and the water sunk to the bottom. I blinded over two fuel filters. I ran all of this gas through one of those Mr. Funnels and it seemed to get rid of the water.

I still buy non ethanol though.

Clearly you're correct about the dangers of phase separation. Water (that is, moisture) is absorbed by ethanol. When it reaches the saturation point the mixture sinks to the bottom of the tank because it is heavier than the remaining gasoline. This can begin to occur in about 30 days and, over time, up to 100% of the ethanol can be pulled from the gasoline.

The ethanol / water mixture can be very harmful and even ruin an engine. In addition, the ethanol free gasoline can cause knocking.

Small engine fuel caps are vented. As a result, moisture (perhaps in the form of condensation) from the storage area can enter the fuel tank due to expansion and contraction during storage. The best ways to avoid this are by a) adding a stabilizer to the fuel and filling the tank, or b) running your equipment to dry.

TonyPrin

Threads
I had always heard that $1.00 worth of ethanol costs $2.00 to make/transport and ethanol is highly subsidized by the government thanks to the corn lobbyists so that is why it is added to gasoline. For no good reason other than for kickbacks. Sounds like a good conspiracy theory but I kind of doubt that to be honest.

Then I read the reason behind 10% ethanol being added to gasoline was an anti-knock additive which is cheaper and not as toxic as MTBE. That's why pure gasoline costs more. Ethanol is supposed to be around 114 octane.

For the record, ethanol subsidies ended in 2011. The cost of straight gasoline and ethanol are generally close to equal although gasoline varies with the price of oil.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had always heard that $1.00 worth of ethanol costs $2.00 to make/transport and ethanol is highly subsidized by the government thanks to the corn lobbyists so that is why it is added to gasoline. For no good reason other than for kickbacks. Sounds like a good conspiracy theory but I kind of doubt that to be honest.

Then I read the reason behind 10% ethanol being added to gasoline was an anti-knock additive which is cheaper and not as toxic as MTBE. That's why pure gasoline costs more. Ethanol is supposed to be around 114 octane.
Yup and it's also an oxygenate which helps reduce smog-causing emissions. Due to not meeting air quality standards most areas in NY and CT have to have an oxygenate added and ethanol fits the bill while also acting as an anti-knock agent and boosting octane. So it has multiple purposes but also multiple negative effects.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Yup and it's also an oxygenate which helps reduce smog-causing emissions. Due to not meeting air quality standards most areas in NY and CT have to have an oxygenate added and ethanol fits the bill while also acting as an anti-knock agent and boosting octane. So it has multiple purposes but also multiple negative effects.

I'm not a big fan of the EPA. But I do like clean air, water and soil. Without it, a lot of this country would look like LA.

Regular maintenance and draining the carb is key to any equipment. I get sooo many mowers, weed eater and things of that nature, that just sat too long with old gas in it. I get good mowers from the scrap yard, that just need the carbs cleaned out. I can pick up a riding mower for about $15 to $20 at the scrap yard.