What blower should I get.

Dirk Landon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone I'm looking at getting a used leaf blower and wanted some input on my options.

Someone I found in my town is selling some blower and this is the txt with all the info

I actually have 4 blowers:
Stihl SM56 C-E which is the one I mentioned has the vac kit. $150
Stihl BG65 low noise, old, ugly, but works. $75
Entry level Echo. Loud and shaky but works. $50
Marita BHX2500CA commercial 4 stroke. $200

Witch is best for my buck what are some pros and cons?
Anyone know anything about the Marita?

Jack17

Threads
3 seasons ago I bought a new Poulan Pro hand held at Lowe's for $100 and works well and starts easy.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi everyone I'm looking at getting a used leaf blower and wanted some input on my options.

Someone I found in my town is selling some blower and this is the txt with all the info

Well it sure wouldn't be that Marita for 200$ considering you can buy it new for $189.00. Buying a used blower is pretty chancy, especially a hand held considering their cost new. What you have to consider when buying a blower is what you are using it for. What type of MPH and CFM are you going to need to do the job your looking to do.

primerbulb120

Threads

Of the four you listed, I would only consider the first Stihl. You don't want anything that's old or beat up unless you have a backup, it could break down and leave you stranded. I started out with a Poulan Pro blower, which promptly broke down and forced me to buy a Husqvarna.

I would not buy a 4 stroke leaf blower. Too heavy. Only 4 stroke handheld I have is a Dolmar brush cutter, the 4 stroke torque comes in handy for cutting through thick brush and oak sprouts.

If I were you, I'd be checking out the new Husqvarnas. I have a 125B blower and I'm so impressed with it that I'm planning on getting all Husqvarna handhelds to replace the ones I have. I will warn you though, Husqvarnas come adjusted lean and have to be opened up to run right. I adjusted mine right out of the box.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Of the four you listed, I would only consider the first Stihl. You don't want anything that's old or beat up unless you have a backup, it could break down and leave you stranded. I started out with a Poulan Pro blower, which promptly broke down and forced me to buy a Husqvarna.

I would not buy a 4 stroke leaf blower. Too heavy. Only 4 stroke handheld I have is a Dolmar brush cutter, the 4 stroke torque comes in handy for cutting through thick brush and oak sprouts.

If I were you, I'd be checking out the new Husqvarnas. I have a 125B blower and I'm so impressed with it that I'm planning on getting all Husqvarna handhelds to replace the ones I have. I will warn you though, Husqvarnas come adjusted lean and have to be opened up to run right. I adjusted mine right out of the box.

I think I'd have to disagree with you about the 4 stroke being to heavy because the Stihl 4 stroke units weigh less than most all there 2 stroke counter parts on the market. I also would stay away from a handheld unit, been there and done that. A backpack is the way to go. If he is not looking for a lot of power then I'd recommend the Stihl BR 200 it's running a max 150mph and 400 cfm and about as reliable as they come.

primerbulb120

Threads
I think I'd have to disagree with you about the 4 stroke being to heavy because the Stihl 4 stroke units weigh less than most all there 2 stroke counter parts on the market. I also would stay away from a handheld unit, been there and done that. A backpack is the way to go. If he is not looking for a lot of power then I'd recommend the Stihl BR 200 it's running a max 150mph and 400 cfm and about as reliable as they come.

Are you talking about the Stihl 4 Mix or an actual 4 stroke with separate gas and oil?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I'll sell you a Maruyama BL 85t with 4 years of warranty left for 350. Look around you can find better options.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you talking about the Stihl 4 Mix or an actual 4 stroke with separate gas and oil?

Actual 4 stroke? The Stihl 4 mix engine is actually a 4 stroke engine. It's a single cylinder 4 stroke engine that runs on a mixture lubrication. Just because it doesn't run a separate oil compartment or have a crankcase doesn't change the fact that it's a 4 stroke engine.

primerbulb120

Threads
The 4 mix is technically a 4 stroke engine, but it has some differences from conventional 4 strokes, which I'm assuming is why Stihl decided to call it a 4 mix instead.

I would still go with a 2 stroke. Not to say the 4 mix engines are bad, but you have to keep the valves adjusted which you don't have to do on a 2 stroke. Plus, there are more moving parts to break. Again, just my opinion after using both types.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The 4 mix is technically a 4 stroke engine, but it has some differences from conventional 4 strokes, which I'm assuming is why Stihl decided to call it a 4 mix instead.

I would still go with a 2 stroke. Not to say the 4 mix engines are bad, but you have to keep the valves adjusted which you don't have to do on a 2 stroke. Plus, there are more moving parts to break. Again, just my opinion after using both types.

I've heard that valve story before. Personally I think it's a lot of BS. I ran a BR 550 for 10years and never touched the valves. In-fact I have on my trailer and am running six different 4 mix engines at the present time and have been for a good number of years, Edgers, Trimmers, and Blowers and have never had to touch the valves on anything.
I think the people who have trouble with the 4 mix engines create their own problems. They are people who have the I can make it better than the manufacturer attitude and end end up screwing the things up just like their mowers, always making some kind of modification to something.