Honda Harmony HRB215HXA. Feels like no compression when starter rope is pulled?

HON

Threads
  • / Honda Harmony HRB215HXA. Feels like no compression when starter rope is pulled?
I pull the starter rope, and it feels like no compression. Previously, the mower would always start on the second pull. When I've used the motor, I generally run it out of gas before storing. The tank was completely empty of gas when I pulled it out of storage this time around, which confirms to me that I didn't forget to do what I usually do.

I have not taken apart the carburetor. I have also never drained the carburetor bowl, because the amount of disassembly required just to even see the carburetor, much less access it, appeared intimidating. I thought that running the mower completely out of gas would be enough. Maybe it isn't?

Yet, even if I had a brand new carburetor, it doesn't feel like there is any compression when I pull the start rope. It feels very different than it used to from previous years. I can hear that the motor is turning, but I can't feel any resistance through the start rope like I previously was able to feel.

The mower has a GXV140 engine, Engine Serial # GJAB-7402xxx.

The mower is an HRB215HXA, Mower Serial # is MZBA-6336xxx. It was manufactured in the USA. I purchased it brand new in 1998, for around $700.00 at the time.

Any help or suggestions as to how I can get this mower running again would be greatly appreciated!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Honda Harmony HRB215HXA. Feels like no compression when starter rope is pulled?
but I can't feel any resistance through the start rope like I previously was able to feel.

The mower is an HRB215HXA, Mower Serial # is MZBA-6336xxx. It was manufactured in the USA. I purchased it brand new in 1998, for around $700.00 at the time.

Any help or suggestions as to how I can get this mower running again would be greatly appreciated!

No compression possibles:

Loose spark plug
Valve(s) stuck open
Broken compression release

Start with the easy stuff. Remove and inspect/replace spark plug.

Any chance somebody else used it since you last did?

HON

Threads
Thank you Robert, for your suggestions. I was hoping you would visit this thread. I joined due to reading your previous posts.

The spark plug was sufficiently tight... no leakage there. I removed and reinstalled it anyway.

I ve only read about Hondas having a compression release mechanism, but I have no idea what it is, where it is located, or how to check to see if that is the issue. And that seems like the next logical step to for me to do. How do I do that.?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you Robert, for your suggestions. I was hoping you would visit this thread. I joined due to reading your previous posts.

The spark plug was sufficiently tight... no leakage there. I removed and reinstalled it anyway.

I ve only read about Hondas having a compression release mechanism, but I have no idea what it is, where it is located, or how to check to see if that is the issue. And that seems like the next logical step to for me to do. How do I do that.?

Did you do a spark check? Getting nice bright spark on the plug?

Getting to the decompressor means engine removal and partial tear down, as the device is mounted onto the backside of the driven gear of the camshaft.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Here is a YouTube video, where the valve cover was dented enough in to keep the valves from closing.

https://youtu.be/qcBZTObWX28

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

Saril

Threads
Good advice from Robert - New plug fixed mine, old would not work for some reason.

FYI - my 1999 HRB215HRX compression measured around 138 (psi) cold and 140 hot. I had to remove the exhaust valve lifter (easy to do) in order to get an accurate reading. Without the exhaust valve lifter removed it was reading around 50 - 60.

The 140 psi seemed too good to be true so I tried an older compression gauge and it read around 125 with a slow leak (gauge hose leak) so I'm curious if 140 psi is indeed possible.

Would be interested to know what readings you're getting.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I pull the starter rope, and it feels like no compression. Previously, the mower would always start on the second pull. When I've used the motor, I generally run it out of gas before storing. The tank was completely empty of gas when I pulled it out of storage this time around, which confirms to me that I didn't forget to do what I usually do.

I have not taken apart the carburetor. I have also never drained the carburetor bowl, because the amount of disassembly required just to even see the carburetor, much less access it, appeared intimidating. I thought that running the mower completely out of gas would be enough. Maybe it isn't?

Yet, even if I had a brand new carburetor, it doesn't feel like there is any compression when I pull the start rope. It feels very different than it used to from previous years. I can hear that the motor is turning, but I can't feel any resistance through the start rope like I previously was able to feel.

If you can hold your thumb over the spark plug hole & pull the rope, & get no build up, you may have a 'hung valve' (Stuck open). You could add some Seafoam right into the spark plug hole & let it sit overnight, then try pulling the rope again.

And you not draining the carb bowl completely by removing it, I would suggest you use a gas stabilizer like Seafoam* to keep the gas good till next use.

HON

Threads
Still have same mower, still have same problem.

I solved my issues previously be simply using a different mower.

This season, I'd like to get back to using my Honda.

Where is the best place to obtain a factory service manual for the HRB215HXA with the GXV140 vertical shaft engine?

I hate to pull this thing apart myself, but the hourly labor rates at all the local repair shops exceed my weekly pay at the moment.

Sparkland

Threads

Where is the best place to obtain a factory service manual for the HRB215HXA with the GXV140 vertical shaft engine?

I hate to pull this thing apart myself, but the hourly labor rates at all the local repair shops exceed my weekly pay at the moment.

I was under the impression that Honda had free factory service manuals available, but this is all I could find.

https://publications.powerequipment.honda.com/details/61VE2640E5

Here is a free PDF for the engine alone.

http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/shop-manuals?e=0_66&p=all&d=all&l=all&t=all

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Honda put their factory manuals on ebay and Amazon.
They are not much chop if you are not mechanically competiant & familiar with small engines.
A funny format that probably suits Japanese more than English.
I can see you hate working on your mower as the things you were asked to check back then have not been done.

So start by cleaning the mower.
Then remove the rocker cover
Note that Honda use metric fasteners.
Depending upon which variation you have the rocker cover could have a gasket or be glued on with silicon.
When you have it off turn the engine over by hand and watch the valves.
The valves are the same length so should sit at the same height when fully closed.'So if one is stuck it will be lower than the other on the firing stroke.
Back in 16 you were given the possible causes.
1) stuck valve
2) stuck decompressor ( very rare )
3) blown head gasket
4) hole in the piston
5) stuck rings

These have not changed.
Assuming you lost compression during storage the prime suspects are
1) stuck valve
2) stuck rings.

Running your engine dry before storage is always a good thing to do but depending upon your local weather , removing the spark plug and tipping around a teaspoon worth of oil into the cylinder then turning the engine over slowly a few times plug removed is a good idea to prevent rust happening inside over the off season.
It does not take much to condense enough water inside the cylinder to allow rust to happen.

Now if you have problems with wrenching because your 5 thumbs get in the way, no worries.If you do not understand how to do a task we will happily show you.
But it has to be a two way street as all we have to go on is what you type and we read.