Installing governor

Ltmt

Threads
I have a Kohler 19 hp. SV 590. I need to re-install the governor on the cover plate. Have already messed one up. Does anyone know of a secret on how to re-install them?

Jack17

Threads
You mean the governor gear assembly that mounts onto oil passage cover plate? What's messed up? What is it doing?

Ltmt

Threads
That is exactly what I am talking about. I am in the process of changing out a blown up Kohler 17 hp with a this 19 hp. The trouble was that the cover plates are different due to the 17 hp having a fuel pump and the 19 being gravity feed. The cover plate for the 19 has an extra hole for a rod that sticks up past the top of the block. It also has all the extra holes marked on it for the longer oil plate that the governor sticks through. had to take the governor off each one to remove the plate. one of those fell apart as we looked to see how to re-install it. I still have the one good one and was hoping someone could tell me how to mate it back up with the engine.

Ltmt

Threads
If that can't be done then I am looking at a new cover plate with the governor already installed and so far the cheapest I find is about $150.00.

Jack17

Threads
Ok, so, originally you had a lawn tractor with 17hp motor that had a mechanical fuel pump on it. Now you're trying to repower it with 19hp that fuel is fed to the carb by gravity. How is this going to work? Are you planning on relocating fuel tank from under the seat to above carb location?

Ltmt

Threads
When I looked at the top engine covers they are the same for the two engines except for three things. The first is that the 19 hp (good engine) has a rod that sticks up above the engine block and fits into a hole that is drilled in the cover plate for the 19 hp. The 17 hp does not have this so that cover plate will not work.
The 17 hp has a oil cover plate on it that sort of looks like a persons elbow and is secured by six or seven self tapping bolts.
The 19 hp has a little short oil cover that is secured by three or four self tapping bolts. However, there are spots marked on the 19's cover plate where the extra holes for the longer oil cover plate from the 17 could be mounted to this plate by just drilling out the marked holes and swapping the oil covers out.
The 17 had a 90 degree fitting mounted into the top of the 17 cover plate which a rubber hose ran from this fitting to the fuel pump. This is how the fuel pump got the pulse to pump fuel.
On the 19 cover plate this fitting is missing but again there is a spot on the bottom side of the plate where this fitting would go.
So I just drilled out the holes for the longer oil cover so that the longer one would move to the 17, and then I drilled and tapped that hole where the fitting would go for the fuel pump.
Now the problem. Both of these cover plates have the governor rod running through them and the gears mounted just below these plates. To get the plates off I punched the governor shaft rod out of the cover plate which removed it from interfering with taking the oil cover off.
One of the governors fell apart before we knew what happened and I found out that it is useless after this.
The other one I was a little more careful with and it stayed intact. Now I am ready to install all this back on the engine cover plate but I am not sure how I am going to drive the governor shaft back into the cover plate without damaging it.
That is the help I need.
So the 19 Hp engine was from a tractor with the gas tank mounted up high while the 17 Hp was mounted to a zero turn mower with the tank mounted beside the motor thus causing the need for a fuel pump.
I hope this goes a long way in explaining my problem to you and that you might come up with a solution for my problem.
Thanks for your interest.