44M777 24hp ELS Revving Uncontrollably

cruzenmike

Threads
Hello. I was experiencing some hunting/surging on my Briggs v-twin so I attempted to adjust the governor. Now when I start the mower, it revs uncontrollably. It is revving so high the engine is going to explode! I have tried over and over to adjust the governor but nothing I do fixes the problem. If I go right to the front of the engine with it running, I can hold the governor up (low throttle) and keep it from racing but even the slightest of movement and the engine races again. I am not sure if the shaft coming out of the engine block isn't rotating to control the governor, or if there is something wrong/loose/stuck inside of the carburetor that is making it do this. The only thing that I noticed was that the shaft from the governor arm to the carburetor is slightly bent, but that appears to be intentional to clear the plastic intake manifold and it still moves freely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello. I was experiencing some hunting/surging on my Briggs v-twin so I attempted to adjust the governor. Now when I start the mower, it revs uncontrollably. It is revving so high the engine is going to explode! I have tried over and over to adjust the governor but nothing I do fixes the problem. If I go right to the front of the engine with it running, I can hold the governor up (low throttle) and keep it from racing but even the slightest of movement and the engine races again. I am not sure if the shaft coming out of the engine block isn't rotating to control the governor, or if there is something wrong/loose/stuck inside of the carburetor that is making it do this. The only thing that I noticed was that the shaft from the governor arm to the carburetor is slightly bent, but that appears to be intentional to clear the plastic intake manifold and it still moves freely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

HEY MIKE ,
Give sections 3 & 4 a looking over ... could solve your problem ...Boobala

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ySkZjTTA5TGltZEE/view

cruzenmike

Threads
HEY MIKE ,
Give sections 3 & 4 a looking over ... could solve your problem ...Boobala

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ySkZjTTA5TGltZEE/view

Thanks for the document. I tried everything that was in those two sections and nothing worked. I adjusted the governor again, plant with the tangs, adjust the throttle cable and still the same thing. I am starting to think that this is an internal problem. I has been experiencing some bad surging related to my carb jet o-rings, which I fixed, but the surging continued (under no load). That is when I attempted to adjust the governor. It was after that initial adjustment that things went wrong. I am thinking that maybe when I manipulated the governor trying to adjust it, something inside came apart. I was watching some videos and it appears as if it can either be an easy fix with just a new gear, gasket and seal, or it could be catastrophic and it needs a new engine. I am not sure if I am willing to take the engine half apart to see what is wrong, but it is worth very little not running and I do not have another mower!!

cruzenmike

Threads
Figured it out; broken governor gear. Decided to take a stab at tearing down the engine and as soon as I pulled the crankcase off I heard the pieces fall into the engine block. So, looking at $70 in parts and hopefully I will have it back together and running in a day or so!!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Figured it out; broken governor gear. Decided to take a stab at tearing down the engine and as soon as I pulled the crankcase off I heard the pieces fall into the engine block. So, looking at $70 in parts and hopefully I will have it back together and running in a day or so!!

Hoping you found the problem...keep us up-dated Mike, how about a few pics too!!

cruzenmike

Threads
Engine Back In.jpgEngine on Table.jpgEngine Out.jpgGovernor Gear.jpg

I was not able to take a lot of pictures as my hands were quite messy. I can tell you that the entire process only took about 5 hours combined. That is removing the engine, tearing it down, cleaning whatever needed to be cleaned and putting it all back together. Some things that I will note: the crankcase gasket was impossible to get off of the block and the seal around the crankshaft is difficult to seat. I think it was about $90 in parts which included the governor gear and washer, the crankcase gasket and the oil pump seal. I got everything back together, and since I had been fiddling so much with the governor before, the throttle was out of wack. Thanks to Boobala, I used the service manual to do the static governor adjustment, and set the low idle and high rpm speeds using a mini tach. For now, it seems to be running fine.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
View attachment 31451View attachment 31452View attachment 31453View attachment 31454

I was not able to take a lot of pictures as my hands were quite messy. I can tell you that the entire process only took about 5 hours combined. That is removing the engine, tearing it down, cleaning whatever needed to be cleaned and putting it all back together. Some things that I will note: the crankcase gasket was impossible to get off of the block and the seal around the crankshaft is difficult to seat. I think it was about $90 in parts which included the governor gear and washer, the crankcase gasket and the oil pump seal. I got everything back together, and since I had been fiddling so much with the governor before, the throttle was out of wack. Thanks to Boobala, I used the service manual to do the static governor adjustment, and set the low idle and high rpm speeds using a mini tach. For now, it seems to be running fine.

Looking GOOD there Mike !! yeah I see your machine is in decent shape it was a smart move to repair it.
Ya get a real good feeling when you tackle a job like that ... and things work-out good.
If something should happen down the road... you'll have the experience and CONFIDENCE ...to know you can handle it. Keep the manual handy (hope you downloaded & saved it) I have the Briggs factory PARTS MANUAL around ...I'll get that to you if you want it... Oh Happy Days !! Boobala ..:cool2: