Fuel starvation

Denver

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna riding mower Model YTH22V42LS. I obtained it as part of my recent house purchase and know nothing of its history. The fuel tank was empty when I took possession of the mower but I thought it was just drained for storage. I added fuel and attempted to start the engine but got absolutely no sign of the engine trying to start. applying the choke had no effect. I am getting good spark so I assume that fuel is not reaching the engine. Tracing the fuel line I see that it flows through an in-line fuel filter then proceeds to a black plastic device about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and about 1 1/4 inch thick. from there it branches out in two directions; to where I do not know.
My question is: Is that black plastic thing a fuel pump? if so, is it mechanically driven or electrical? I assumed that fuel flow was by gravity alone but now suspect I was wrong.
Any suggestions on how I should proceed to start the engine would be appreciated.

TonyPrin

Threads
I suspect you're referring to the carbon canister which is a filter. Irrespective of whether or not I'm correct, the solution is the same. Take everything apart between the tank and the carburetor and make certain the gas flows freely. It's time consuming but not difficult. Also, your model may have a gas line shut-off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a Husqvarna riding mower Model YTH22V42LS. I obtained it as part of my recent house purchase and know nothing of its history. The fuel tank was empty when I took possession of the mower but I thought it was just drained for storage. I added fuel and attempted to start the engine but got absolutely no sign of the engine trying to start. applying the choke had no effect. I am getting good spark so I assume that fuel is not reaching the engine. Tracing the fuel line I see that it flows through an in-line fuel filter then proceeds to a black plastic device about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and about 1 1/4 inch thick. from there it branches out in two directions; to where I do not know.
My question is: Is that black plastic thing a fuel pump? if so, is it mechanically driven or electrical? I assumed that fuel flow was by gravity alone but now suspect I was wrong.
Any suggestions on how I should proceed to start the engine would be appreciated.

You are right,
You were wrong.
The black round thing with 3 tubes on it is the fuel pump.
Inside there is a diaphragm & a spring.
Crankcase pulses travel via the tube that is in the center and push down on the diaphragm which pushes fuel out of one of the tubes in the side,
So it is IN ONE SIDE and OUT THE OTHER SIDE.
Remove the fuel line at the carb , hold it pointing upwards, briefly crank the engine. Fuel should squirt out, up about 2" to 12".
If not you have a blockage / defective pump / broken impulse tube ( the middle one ) .
If fuel does sport out then go down to the carb. It will have a small cylinder with a wire ( or 2) on it.
This is the fuel solenoid and it's job is to stop fuel in the carb getting to the engine.
When you turn the engine on, it has a plunger that retracts.
If it had 1 wire it needs grounding through the body if 2 wire one is ground