Kohler 18 engine swap on 5xi

rtbuck89

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am getting a used New Holland GT18 (same as a Toro 518xi) that has a 60" deck. The previous owner claims that it has always had plenty of power to mow effectively. I question the 18hp engine's power on a 60" deck. I am getting this tractor cheap enough that I would consider swapping in a larger engine. Has anyone done an engine swap on the 5xi models? What engines would be an easy swap? How about increasing the hp on my kohler command 18? Just a simple carburetor swap to get it to 20 or 22 hp? Thanks

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am getting a used New Holland GT18 (same as a Toro 518xi) that has a 60" deck. The previous owner claims that it has always had plenty of power to mow effectively. I question the 18hp engine's power on a 60" deck. I am getting this tractor cheap enough that I would consider swapping in a larger engine. Has anyone done an engine swap on the 5xi models? What engines would be an easy swap? How about increasing the hp on my kohler command 18? Just a simple carburetor swap to get it to 20 or 22 hp? Thanks

Concerning " swapping things " (even factory set-ups) ...it's something like... when you are out at a sporting event...and you visit the men's room ...you stand in line for what seems an eternity then when you finally get to the urinal....your zipper is broken ...un-moveable ....DECISIONS ...decisions ....decisions ...!!! ..:confused2: ..:mad:

rtbuck89

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been doing some research and see that the only difference between a ch18 and ch20 kohler is the carburetor. Maybe just a carb swap is in order. I haven't picked up the mower yet. We will see how it mows.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Where to start.
I have 32" mowers powered with 8hp engine that will power almost full speed through waist high clumping grasses without any problems. ( 0.27 Hp per inch )
OTOH
I have a 42 " mower with a 20 Hp engine that chokes an plain grass 10" tall ( 0.48 hp per inch )

And yes, mower engine are done in brackets so a single Bore & Stroke might be 10 different "sized" engines.
Variation are done by putting restrictors in the manifold / different main jets / different carbs / different governor springs singularly or in combination.
Because we the idiot public always want a "better" model next year , that allows mower companies to fit a "Bigger- more powerful" engine next year for the "same low price" as last year, by doing little more than changing the sticker on the blower housing.