Thinking of buying a Cub Cadet, engine question.

Rickcin

Threads
Going to purchase a Cub Cadet..

One of the CC models has a Kohler Courage 18 hp single, the other has a Kohler 22 hp V Twin.

Which engine would be more reliable??? Thanks

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads

One of the CC models has a Kohler Courage 18 hp single, the other has a Kohler 22 hp V Twin.

Differences in failure rate between small engines are likely to be insignificant​. Kohler has quality standards to which they manufacture. Their reputation relies on having consistent processes and controls to ensure consumer satisfaction. With that being said, 3 additional horsepower and any gain in torque with the v-twin will likely make cutting tall or slightly damp grass (which should be avoided if possible) easier or provide a better cut. Just my thoughts.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

As far as reliability goes there probably about equal. A lot for me would depend on what mower I'm going to buy and what I'm going to using the mower for. IF your buying a CC lawn tractor then the 18hp would be probably be fine for it's use. If your getting a ztr I'd opt for the 22hp V twin.

Rickcin

Threads
Thank you for the response. I just wanted to be sure there was not an engine to avoid prior to stopping at a nearby Cub Cadet dealer.

Would much rather make a purchase there than at Home Depot.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you for the response. I just wanted to be sure there was not an engine to avoid prior to stopping at a nearby Cub Cadet dealer.

Would much rather make a purchase there than at Home Depot.

Nothing to avoid about Kohler engines. I ran the 20 single 20 and 22 hp V twin Kohler Courage engines for 4 years and they were a great engine. Never had any issues.

Rickcin

Threads
I purchased a Cub Cadet today from a local dealer and I went for the upgraded model that has a few better features as well as a 22 hp Kohler 7000 series engine.

Thanks for all of your useful advise!