carburetor for Jake" Estate mower

Mike(NEOhio)

Threads
I'm beginning to restore a inch Estate that has been in the family since the sixties. It's a mid-50s model with sulky. I used it to mow my grandparents lawn when I was a kid and just hung on to it. I haven't been able to find any diagram or manual for the Tillotson MT26A carb. After soaking the carb I was blowing out the passages and a small brass plug fell out. It's about 1/8 dia. and 3/16 long with small chamfers at each end. Can anyone tell me where it belongs and/or point me to where I can get Tillotson literature. Everything I find online is for later models.

Attachments

• IMG_20170321_165901[1].jpg
    IMG_20170321_165901[1].jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 15

Mike(NEOhio)

Threads
I've been on that site and looked at every one of those pdfs. The closest is the E series but they are verticals. All the others are diaphragm types. Mine is horizontal with a brass float.

Pumper54

Threads
Mike, you might check out an antique motorcycle or car place as they may know something about those carbs. Also send an email or give that place a call to see if they might know how to direct you in the proper direction. Can't hurt.
Tom

Threads
I'm beginning to restore a inch Estate that has been in the family since the sixties. It's a mid-50s model with sulky. I used it to mow my grandparents lawn when I was a kid and just hung on to it. I haven't been able to find any diagram or manual for the Tillotson MT26A carb. After soaking the carb I was blowing out the passages and a small brass plug fell out. It's about 1/8 dia. and 3/16 long with small chamfers at each end. Can anyone tell me where it belongs and/or point me to where I can get Tillotson literature. Everything I find online is for later models.

It's hard to see but by your description I would think the piece that fell out goes above the float to cut off the gas flow when the bowl is full. I know I've dropped that little thing many times.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Tillotson site appears to be your best recourse ... did you see their VINTAGE section column..??
it seems they can rebuild your carb ( if need be ) so I would give em a ring a ling on the ding a ling and ask
for their help... there are good people and good companies out there !! ...Boobala ..:cool:

JUST FOUND THIS ON E-BAY ..ENDS tomorrow !!! March 29 ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-TILLOT...701381?hash=item2cb6848dc5:g:o4gAAOSwEzxYPmHq

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Looks like it goes where I circled in red.
jake.jpg

Pumper54

Threads
Mike kinda hard to see just what that piece is but any chance it is the main jet seat? Or possibly an adjustable main jet? Is it solid or drilled?
Tom

Pumper54

Threads
Mike,
I posted you problem on a motorcycle forum I am a member of and received a couple of responses from people who know a few things about older bikes and carbs. One was fairly simple: I'd look into the throat of the carburetor for a hole that needs its 1/8" by 3/16" small brass plug.
And the other a bit more detailed: Some older carbs used a spring loaded brass pin, similar to what you describe, as a "friction pin" that rides against the choke butterfly's shaft, to hold it in position when set via cable or lever, maybe someone removed the spring retaining screw and the spring, but failed to dump out the brass pin ???

Hope this information might be of some use to you.
Tom