carburetor for Jake" Estate mower

Mike(NEOhio)

Threads
That just might be it, Tom. It will drop down into the main well but covers the hole for the load needle at the bottom. I'll check the choke shaft.

Mike(NEOhio)

Threads
Tom, you nailed it. The upper hole in the picture is for the choke shaft. The welch plug below is where the brass button is installed and pushed back behind the shaft. There is a tiny flat at the lower end of the choke shaft that engages the button when the choke is opened. Now I'll have to take the welch plug out to put it back in. I hope the spring is still in there.

Attachments

• S5000006.JPG
    S5000006.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 4

Pumper54

Threads
Mike,
Glad you got it figured out. I will let the guys over at the motorcycle forum know that they helped you out. Carbs are carbs and lots of the old ones where used on lots of different engines
Tom

Mike(NEOhio)

Threads
Tom,
More good news. I knocked the welch plug out of the bottom of the choke shaft bore. The spring is still in there and I can slip the brass pin in from the bottom. Now if I can just find a rebuild kit.

Pumper54

Threads
Mike,
Great news on finding the spring in there. Some times those are a PITA to find if they are missing or decide to "fly across the room" on their own. As for the rebuild kit, depending on what you need you might look for the oldest "old fashion" hardware store in the area, the one with dust all over the boxes of parts and take what you need and see what they have that will work. If nothing else you will have a great time roaming around inside there. If you need gaskets you can cut new ones from gasket stock material with a sharp knife using the old one as a guide or press the part onto it to give you a guide.
Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Tom

Mike(NEOhio)

Threads
Tom,

I often make my own gaskets. I would like the kit if it has all new welch plugs. That's the only way to be sure everything is clean. If you knock them out carefully they can be re-crowned and put back in but the one covering the idle jets has to be destroyed. I also need the load needle packing and the tiny ring under the brass tube in the load jet. I found a place for marine parts in Michigan that has a kit listed but the email doesn't work. I'll have to call next week.