Engine Toro ZX 4800 First Oil Change

Scott S

Threads
It now has 8 hours on it and it's time for it's first oil change. I've read the manual and it seems simple enough although the drain hose doesn't appear to be very long. The drain end of it is attached to the frame with a plastic tie. Bear with me if these questions are dumb, but I've never owned a ZTR before.

1. Am I supposed to remove the the plastic tie to allow greater movement (flexibility) of the drain hose or just leave it attached as is? It seems as though it would be difficult for the oil to drain if it is left attached to the frame, but the manual doesn't say anything about removing the plastic tie.

2. Is Mobil 1 synthetic oil okay to use in it?

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_2546.JPG
    IMG_2546.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 10

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scott- The zip tie is only there to keep the drain line from flailing around during mowing. If you can stretch the zip tie enough to get drain hose loose, you might be able to tighten it back up after. Otherwise a bag of zip ties are only a couple bucks @ Walmart or elsewhere.

Never hurts to have zip ties in stock anyhow. Good for many uses, like if wiring gets hanging near something that might damage it.

It is recommended to put at least 50 hours on before going to Synthetic oil. What grade M-1 are you considering ?

Scott S

Threads
Scott- The zip tie is only there to keep the drain line from flailing around during mowing. If you can stretch the zip tie enough to get drain hose loose, you might be able to tighten it back up after. Otherwise a bag of zip ties are only a couple bucks @ Walmart or elsewhere.

Never hurts to have zip ties in stock anyhow. Good for many uses, like if wiring gets hanging near something that might damage it.

It is recommended to put at least 50 hours on before going to Synthetic oil. What grade M-1 are you considering ?

Thanks, Buddy, for the info. I plan on using 10W-30.

NorthBama

Threads
I have been using 10w- 30 mobile 1 synthetic for 8 years in my Toro. I think it works great

Scott S

Threads
Thank you. That's what I'm going to use too.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cool Beans, perfect for the Kohler.