Mower deck Toro HMR-1600 : Mowing deck driving pulley/axle alignment

Threads
  • / Toro HMR-1600 : Mowing deck driving pulley/axle alignment
Hi guys.

Years ago I lent my mower to my mum, and as it always happens apprently, a issue showed up during that time: For some reason the nut went loose holding the drive pulley in place. This caused the thread on the axle to be completely destroyed. I had it fixed, but not well enough: The pulley always tended to wobble, making the Toro eat v-belts. After last summer I got tired of it was on the edge of quiting spending any more bucks on the Toro.

But:
It being a small miracle that I found a replacement axle for a decent price, but now after cleaning the mowing deck and installing the new axle, I have some difficulty installing the drive pulley properly. There is some play just before tidying the nut, but I can't really figure out how to align the drivepulley over the shaft in such a way that it's -near- centered.

The mowing deck is 52" and has 3 blades. The middle one (what I'm talking about) is the driver for middle blade but also the axle that recieves the power from the engine (it has a double pulley: one for the v-belt from the engine, and one for the v-belt that drives all 3 blades).

So, my question is: How do you guys align the pulleys on the axles of the mowing deck?

PS1: Unfortunately I not have a dial guage
PS2: I have attached the drawings from Toro's PartsViewer. So basically my question is : How do I align item "9" and item "4" in the toro_2.gif image (the lower one).

toro_1.gif
toro_2.gif

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
sounds to me like the splines are worn out on the pulley?

Threads
Ow yeah... thanks reynoldston. Kinda overlooked that option. Well, with the price of v-belts and the Toro eating them I assumed spending a little more on a new pulley is worth the money in the long run.

Also little scared of worning out my new axle, and I found it cheap with some luck. Wouldn't gamble on that again. It's kinda nice it is still possible to buy parts for a mower from 1989, the prices are always double of the amount I think is reasonable... This pulley in The Netherlands cost me some 170 bucks. Saw it on Amazon for 100 bucks, but only available in the US to ship to.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ow yeah... thanks reynoldston. Kinda overlooked that option. Well, with the price of v-belts and the Toro eating them I assumed spending a little more on a new pulley is worth the money in the long run.

Also little scared of worning out my new axle, and I found it cheap with some luck. Wouldn't gamble on that again. It's kinda nice it is still possible to buy parts for a mower from 1989, the prices are always double of the amount I think is reasonable... This pulley in The Netherlands cost me some 170 bucks. Saw it on Amazon for 100 bucks, but only available in the US to ship to.

The mower is 28 years old. That turns into a parts problem even here in the US. People who sell these old parts know what these parts aren't made anymore so if you want them you pay the price. If the mower is worth it to you and in good working order you have a well made outfit that should last for years. A new mower will cost you more then the repairs and not made as well as that old rear engine horses :thumbsup: