Unknown Snapper RER

Henshaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I picked up an old school snapper.
She runs like a clock and cuts like brand new. Looks a little roughy, but rides great.

Basically, I've got a leaky carb, with a float that doesn't quite float anymore. So I need a rebuild kit.
I'd also like to determine the year and model of the mower. My data plate is shot though.

And my last question would be, is it okay to ease it in gear without using the clutch? The clutch is so jerky, it's literally a pain in the tuchus. I seems to ride a lot smooth without using the clutch and just easing it up and down in the gears.

It's got a 319cc B&S pull start motor, with a clutch pedal, no breaks.
IMG_0073.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg

Henshaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Would you happen to know the model on those? I'm fairly certain it is a 26 inch.

cashman

Threads
Looks like an 8hp to me. Possibly a #2680 model. If it is all original, it was one of the last years that had a steel cover over the deck and white painted X series style handlebars. Look above the spark plug on the engine and find the model and serial number and if the engine is original will tell you what year the engine was built and horse power. 1977 was the only year that had a red painted steel cover over the deck (if hasn't been painted red since). The 1976 models had a plastic cover over the deck and bicycle style handle bars. Any way, model #2680 is close enough to find parts for the mower. It was an "0" series, kinda of an in between model of the older X series and the later series "1" models.

Henshaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, I figured it would be fine, but I just wanted to make sure. I'll check out the link you sent me once I get off work. Thank ya!

Now to figure out why the iPhone App doesn't work. Haha.

Henshaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like an 8hp to me. Possibly a #2680 model. If it is all original, it was one of the last years that had a steel cover over the deck and white painted X series style handlebars. Look above the spark plug on the engine and find the model and serial number and if the engine is original will tell you what year the engine was built and horse power. 1977 was the only year that had a red painted steel cover over the deck (if hasn't been painted red since). The 1976 models had a plastic cover over the deck and bicycle style handle bars. Any way, model #2680 is close enough to find parts for the mower. It was an "0" series, kinda of an in between model of the older X series and the later series "1" models.

I found the engine stuff. It's an eight horse power, like you said. Pretty cool little machine. Weighs a ton too. Hahaha. I'll search that model number when I get off!

Henshaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
All of the manuals for 2860 mention a brake pedal, which mine does not have. Along with electric start, which mine also does not have. So it can't be a 2860.. however they do seem very similar otherwise. I'd like to figure out the exact model just to know it at this point, haha.

cashman

Threads
Might be kinda hard to tell exactly what model # it was and it possibly is an "X" series underneath. If it is an X series with a 8hp engine, the model would have been a 268X. With electric start it would have had an "S" in the model #.

Mow Joe

Threads
I agree that it is most likely a 268X. If it were a "0" or newer, the deck lift lever would be on the left side and it would have bicycle type handlebars.

No, it's NOT ok to put it into gear without clutching. Clutch it to put it into 1st or reverse. ALWAYS START IN FIRST! Once in 1st gear, shift on the go to any forward speed WITHOUT clutching. You can downshift all the way back to neutral without clutching, but not out of neutral. And yes, they all "snap" when taking off in 1st, no way around it without installing the smooth-start clutch kit that didn't appear until the early 80s.