what kind of wrench do i need?

asong

Threads
hello, i want to clean my carburetor, but i dont have the correct wrenches. can u tell me which wrenches i would need to take apart?

100_1208.jpg

100_1210.jpg

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well you didn't give anything to put it to scale... BUT
the shadows can make it look a bit ?? but I think your first one is a regular hex cap screw,
it is likely a 5/16 and either a 3/8 or 7/16 on the second bolt...
Don't know what carb or engine that is but the bolt on the bottom of the float bowl is most likely a 1/2 ...
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
hello, i want to clean my carburetor, but i dont have the correct wrenches. can u tell me which wrenches i would need to take apart?

100_1208.jpg

100_1210.jpg

First picture would need an Allen wrench (L-shaped with hex ends) to fit. Usually SAE threads.

Second could be either SAE thread or Metric thread.

You can buy a good sized set of combination wrenches for the second fastener in both SAE or Metric size at Menards, Home Depot, or Harbor Freight for less than $10 per set. A set of Allen wrenches might cost $5 more. Break down and buy a set, will be so much cheaper than buying the tools one at a time. I personally have NO wrenches NOT made by Craftsman, but there is no need for such premium wrenches for an infrequent user.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I see it if you don't have any tools or know how to fix it take it to someone who does, I see this a lot, someone takes the mower apart and then brings it to me to fix with parts missing, I know no one agrees with me on this on this forum. If you don't know what you are doing just keep it to things like oil changes , spark plug and other small repairs. You will save money in the end.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
As I see it if you don't have any tools or know how to fix it take it to someone who does, I see this a lot, someone takes the mower apart and then brings it to me to fix with parts missing, I know no one agrees with me on this on this forum. If you don't know what you are doing just keep it to things like oil changes , spark plug and other small repairs. You will save money in the end.

:confused2: To me. cleaning a carb isn't even a small repair, but maintenance. Give the man some credit, EVERYBODY has to start learning to fix things sometime. My first house, I didn't even know how to replace an outlet. And now 35 years later, I can wire an entire new house.

LandN

Threads

I agree with you on what you say as far as bringing in the bad situation for a shop tech to figure out and fix the issue AND the broken parts and then how to make a bill and charge for what you did. i had to deal with that for years,only in the auto biz.finally made a blanket policy against it...............but, on the other hand i fully understand the consumer side of it that says that the consumer should get involved in A LITTLE BIT of what they can comfortably complete of a maintenance/repair issue(you need to know your limits). this is why this issue is so hard for me to take sides on certain issues ......the business side of me says this,and the consumer side of me says that.:confused2:

benski

Threads
To the OP:
I think some 1/4" and 3/8" drive sockets from Sears would be the place to start as far as tools go, and a decent MANUAL would be a benefit as well. If what you find in the manual scares you, or you're unsure of where to start, by all means take it to a repair shop and let them play with it. At the same time, ask them if you can have a dead motor to familiarize youself with fastener types, sizes, engine layout, etc.:thumbsup:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
:confused2: To me. cleaning a carb isn't even a small repair, but maintenance. Give the man some credit, EVERYBODY has to start learning to fix things sometime. My first house, I didn't even know how to replace an outlet. And now 35 years later, I can wire an entire new house.

Are you telling me at anyone can repair a mower or wire a house just because you can. I have been in the repair bussness all my life and know better and have learned when I am over my head . I let someone do the repairs when I don't know what I am doing because then you start loseing money so why do it. I guess buy a cheap set of tools and go for it and just try the differant size sockets till they fit. Take some pictures so you know how it goes together before you take it apart. I also found it helps me to number things with masking tape if I have a lot of parts,hoses or wires. No I can't wire a house because I don't know the codes but I can replace a outlet.

Trcustoms719

Threads

I agree.
I hate having to fix other peoples mistakes, just makes my job harder.

I say if you don't know how to do it, bring it to someone who does and watch and ask questions if there ok with it.:thumbsup: