grasshopper sucks oil into breather

heron

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 718 that runs fine but sucks oil into the air breather which then clogs the air filter. if a put in a new filter it runs fine again for a few hours until that filter gets coated with oil. The dealer will only tell me i have to bring it in for them to diagnose. can't afford that. =) im sure its a simple fix once i figure out what to fix...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely causes are blowby. Which could be worn, bad rings, blown head gasket, or possibly a broken breather reed. Which engine do you have on your mower. Model number helps us to narrow down the possible issues.

heron

Forum Newbie
Threads
it has a Briggs, Vanguard 18hp gas Vtwin engine. model number 350447 there is a crankcase vent in the middle of the air filter where it sucks the oil from.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The breather housing is located under the air cleaner attached to the block with a single bolt in the middle of the V between the cylinders. that is were the breather reed is located. Other reasons for your issues could be a blown head gasket or worn, broken rings causing pressurization of the crankcase.

heron

Forum Newbie
Threads
The breather housing is located under the air cleaner attached to the block with a single bolt in the middle of the V between the cylinders. that is were the breather reed is located. Other reasons for your issues could be a blown head gasket or worn, broken rings causing pressurization of the crankcase.

i found the breather and took it off, cleaned it, it appears to be fine, gaskets are still pliable and not brittle. how do i test it? the reed opens when i push on it lightly. i thought it was a one way valve so i tried breathing through it, it doesn't seem to be one way.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is a one way valve, but isn't air tight so it won't hold pressure. Sounds like you may need to do a leakdown test to determine if it is rings or head gasket.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
clean the air filter end of the tube then blow and suck ( yummy ).
You should be able to suck but not blow .
And just to be picky, the breather tube BLOWS using crank case pressure the carb does not suck from it.

heron

Forum Newbie
Threads
clean the air filter end of the tube then blow and suck ( yummy ).
You should be able to suck but not blow .
And just to be picky, the breather tube BLOWS using crank case pressure the carb does not suck from it.

I can do both. easier to blow actually. i will go to the grasshopper store tomorrow. i am guessing that means the reed valve assembly needs replaced.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can do both. easier to blow actually. i will go to the grasshopper store tomorrow. i am guessing that means the reed valve assembly needs replaced.

Yep you got it, new reed valve.
You still might be suffering from blow by or a leaking head gasket , but one thing at a time works well .

heron

Forum Newbie
Threads
i replaced the reed valve and it helped but didn't fix it. turns out there is a 40% loss of compression in the left cylinder due to the rings and some scoring... thanks for the help!