Repairs MTD RH125 92 Lawnmower 1994

willowbob

Threads
Re: MTD RH125 92 Lawnmower 2004

Apologies everyone, it is a 2004, not a 1994. Thanks again for everyone's help.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The MTD I repaired for a neighbor 30 some years ago had the speed control to change spring tension which in turn varied the pressure on the belt that made the variable system work. That spring tension change worked in opposition to the second belt tension that was fixed by a spring. The lever was to either overcome fixed spring tension ( increase speed ) or be less than fixed spring tension ( decrease travel speed ). I did learn one valuable lesson. If the deck is removed you better pay strict attention if you ever think you will re-install it. It's a batch.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The MTD I repaired for a neighbor 30 some years ago had the speed control to change spring tension which in turn varied the pressure on the belt that made the variable system work. That spring tension change worked in opposition to the second belt tension that was fixed by a spring. The lever was to either overcome fixed spring tension ( increase speed ) or be less than fixed spring tension ( decrease travel speed ). I did learn one valuable lesson. If the deck is removed you better pay strict attention if you ever think you will re-install it. It's a batch.

AHhh .... the usefulness of a camera during a dis-assembly !!

willowbob

Threads

Thanks very much for the information. Whilst I have a really good diagram now, if anyone does have the same model, a picture would be really appreciated also. Cheers.

willowbob

Threads
Well chaps, I have good news and bad..........the good news is that further to all the great advice and help I received on here, my Dad tried the machine for the first time today after a complete belt change (genuine MTD items) and getting the speed control to work. The mower worked perfectly through all the speeds and behaved better than ever. The not so good news is that when he engaged the cutting deck, there was grumbling, smoke and the unit promptly chewed up and spat the cutting deck belt out! Very disappointing. As we have never done such big jobs on this unit before, is there anything that immediately springs to mind that would cause such a catastrophic failure? My Dad said he (thought) the new belt had gone on the same way as the previous one was on there? Are there any typical; 'schoolboy errors' with cutting deck belt changes please?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well chaps, I have good news and bad..........the good news is that further to all the great advice and help I received on here, my Dad tried the machine for the first time today after a complete belt change (genuine MTD items) and getting the speed control to work. The mower worked perfectly through all the speeds and behaved better than ever. The not so good news is that when he engaged the cutting deck, there was grumbling, smoke and the unit promptly chewed up and spat the cutting deck belt out! Very disappointing. As we have never done such big jobs on this unit before, is there anything that immediately springs to mind that would cause such a catastrophic failure? My Dad said he (thought) the new belt had gone on the same way as the previous one was on there? Are there any typical; 'schoolboy errors' with cutting deck belt changes please?

See SECTION 8 of the manual .. the belts on the cutting deck go on in ONLY 1 (one) way ... or else.. as you have noticed , there is a big problem . Like I said earlier .... a CAMERA, is one of the best tools you can have !!

willowbob

Threads
Thanks, will do; do the cutters/blades have to be in a specific alignment prior to the belt going on?

willowbob

Threads
A quick update that the tractor is now working well, cutting well and.....in general good health. My Dad and I have learnt a lot during this process through YouTube, this forum and good old fashioned persistence. Thanks again for the help we have had, it does make life much easier when you haven't worked on things before to speak to real people who have. I have updated my profile photo, with my Dad's old Kubota tractor in the background. That's a lovely bit of machinery too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

SHould you have to pull the deck belt off again , tripple check he belt run by grabbing the belt ans sliding it around by hand
Usually the culprit is the belt running outside one of the belt keepers in place of between a keeper & the pulley.
A very common problem and a sin we have all been guilty of.
Once a belt smokes it is dead but handy to keep if it has nor shredded as an emergency spare it will usually work if you are taking light cuts.
Belts should always be bought from a mower store as there are a lot of special profiles & lengths where a standard shape will work, but only for a short time.

willowbob

Threads
SHould you have to pull the deck belt off again , tripple check he belt run by grabbing the belt ans sliding it around by hand
Usually the culprit is the belt running outside one of the belt keepers in place of between a keeper & the pulley.
A very common problem and a sin we have all been guilty of.
Once a belt smokes it is dead but handy to keep if it has nor shredded as an emergency spare it will usually work if you are taking light cuts.
Belts should always be bought from a mower store as there are a lot of special profiles & lengths where a standard shape will work, but only for a short time.

You are spot on, my Dad thinks the belt wasn't down past the keepers properly, jammed.....the rest you know! You live and learn.