Steering Arms Not Returning

Gratex

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought a 2013 Grasshopper 223. Whenever I release the steering, they return somewhat, but very slowly. Could it be bad dampers or pumps? Also, since they don't return to the same neutral position everytime, I might crank it and it'll start moving with the arms out.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
By design they do not return to neutral. That is your job. If the mower starts without the steering in neutral then you need to fix the safety switches that stop you from starting the mower when not in neutral.

Gratex

Forum Newbie
Threads
By design they do not return to neutral. That is your job. If the mower starts without the steering in neutral then you need to fix the safety switches that stop you from starting the mower when not in neutral.

Grasshopper just sent the manual, and it says...."To stop motion, move both steering levers back to neutral. Machine is equipped with springs to automatically return both levers to neutral. If levers do not automatically return to neutral, see your authorized Grasshopper dealer for adjustment." And then it says, "If you become confused during op-eration, release both steering levers. They will automatically return to the centered neutral position and the ma-chine will stop." This is where I am - it's just very slow and not to the exact same neutral position every time.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have searched every parts diagram I could find and can not find a spring attached to steering. Maybe it is attached to the pumps. But as I said I can not find one. I would inspect clean and lube every joint in the steering and see if it fixes it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have searched every parts diagram I could find and can not find a spring attached to steering. Maybe it is attached to the pumps. But as I said I can not find one. I would inspect clean and lube every joint in the steering and see if it fixes it.

Clock springs on the levers on the box.

Gratex

Forum Newbie
Threads

Now that you mention it, the diagrams do NOT show the springs. They are located opposite direction of the damper arms. They are not adjustable, just hooked on. Still, it's just odd that Grasshopper says it will come back to neutral when the arms are released. If I let go at full speed, the mower continues at full speed.

173abn

Threads
there are grease zirks ,pop the seat and look for the zerks.could be just needing grease...russ