replacing dana spicer 6800-1 transaxle in 917.288250

rdwarrior

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the above mower and I need to replace the transaxle. I know the 6800-1 transaxle is not available and I have been unable to locate any in mower graveyards. Can I replace the 6800-1 with a Peerless MST-206-545C or Spicer 4360-180 transaxle?

Thanks

Lawn Addict
Threads
That "Dana" was a POS from China, never made by Dana*, they sold their name for this until they realized it was junk.
Mine was obsolete almost before warranty ended.
IDK about the Spicer ?

I installed the Peerless, it worked great. I sold that tractor years ago. I googled Peerless company & got a phone number & was lucky to get a guy who gave me a list of the couple parts (linkages mainly) to do the swap. Easy deal. You will love it. One change is to reverse the brake arm on the trans to make it a PULL type, like the dana crap.

WayneL

Threads
  • / replacing dana spicer 6800-1 transaxle in 917.288250
I too have A LT1000 with a dana spicer . I also have a Polan (parts mower?) sitting beside it. The Polan transaxle is also a 6 speed, and definitely not the same as the dana spicer transaxle. I do not know the manufacture, but visually it is different than the dana spicer. In comparing the mounting of the two, it appears they are interchangeable. I think the two front mounting brackets are different. I am having issues with the dana spicer sticking in gear. I will start a new Thread.

WayneL