Oil Pressure Concern

Timothy Mark

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Kawasaki FH 641V is mounted to a zero turn 48' cut Ferris mower. It was new in 2009 and now has 165 hours service. The oil and filter were changed at 7 hours and every 15 to 25 hours since. I installed an oil pressure gauge in the port located above the oil filter. When the engine is at operating temperature under load and throttle at full governed speed the oil pressure is 25 psi and at idle 15 psi. The first oil change was 30 wt Pennzoil and I have used 10-30 Mobil 1 since. The machine is garage kept, clean and the commercial grade air filters are clean when inspected and changed as scheduled. Is the oil pressure too low? I do not suspect excessive bearing ware. I am suspicious of the oil bypass located between the oil pump and the oil filter. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thank You. Timothy Mark.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Kawasaki FH 641V is mounted to a zero turn 48' cut Ferris mower. It was new in 2009 and now has 165 hours service. The oil and filter were changed at 7 hours and every 15 to 25 hours since. I installed an oil pressure gauge in the port located above the oil filter. When the engine is at operating temperature under load and throttle at full governed speed the oil pressure is 25 psi and at idle 15 psi. The first oil change was 30 wt Pennzoil and I have used 10-30 Mobil 1 since. The machine is garage kept, clean and the commercial grade air filters are clean when inspected and changed as scheduled. Is the oil pressure too low? I do not suspect excessive bearing ware. I am suspicious of the oil bypass located between the oil pump and the oil filter. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thank You. Timothy Mark.

Maybe you could get Kawasaki support on your computer for a "chat" and get your answers
from them. I think your current readings are fine ....Boobala

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
On all my cars across the years and my two lawn tractors (Inteks) hot oil pressure is at least 32 psi, usually closer to 40. It will sag at little at very hot. For instance in summer the Intek with 5W 30 will show about 32 psi. The cars which run much cooler should run 40 hot and about 15-20 idle. I get the same readings with electric or mechanical gauges. Perhaps buy a second mechanical gauge and try it as a referee. They are cheap. Pressure will drop some with lower oil level. With the mechanicals units, fittings can leak. But you would usually notice it with the mess. And good luck :2cents:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need 5/8 of SFA oil pressure in a mower engine.
Your "Worry gauge" is doing its job, making you worry.
The bypass pressure on most of the oil filters is between 4 & 10 psi

jetty

Threads
Kawasaki manual says between 60-100psi from the port above the filter. Try another gauge ?