Cub Cadet 1861 Starting Issue

ginnis62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good afternoon,
My Cub 1861 failed to start after sitting for the Winter. Initially, the starter turned the engine over, but the battery quickly dissipated. I suppose I should also mention I was having starter issues at the conclusion of Fall. Intermittently, when the key was turned, the starter wouldn't engage...by that I mean the starter wouldn't even spin. Sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't even spin the starter motor.

Back to this Spring...I recently tried to start it, the starter engaged the flywheel, and the battery died. I figured it's time for some newer electrical components. I purchased a new battery ( I bought a small car battery with approx 500 cca) and a new starter. When I put those in, the starter would spin but would not engage the flywheel. So, I figured it must have been the solenoid all along, and I replaced it too. I know, I should have jumped the solenoid first, but that didn't come to me quick enough. This time, after the new battery, solenoid, and starter were in and I connected the positive cable to the battery, it arced like there was a short. I double checked all the wiring and everything appears to be properly connected. At the very minimum, it's connected like it was last Fall when it ran fine.

The only other information I can add is this. Because the electrical system seemed to be shorted, I took the positive cable off the solenoid, reconnected the positive cable back to the battery, and then reconnected the positive cable back to the solenoid. When I did this, it didn't arc, but the starter would not spin, it would only click. I'm also getting the "low oil" light and "disengage the PTO" lights when I turn the key on. I've checked the oil, it's fine, and disengaged the PTO...still with no success. Does it sound like Murphy has struck again and I have a short somewhere in the electrical system? Perhaps in the PTO switch? If there is a short, and it seems to me there almost HAS to be due to the battery arcing, could that prevent the solenoid from engaging the bendix? For what it's worth, I replaced the PTO switch right before the end of the season last year, but I know that doesn't mean it hasn't gone bad again.

Any suggestions or tips on troubleshooting this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ginnis62

Forum Newbie
Threads

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the spark plug(s) .." jump " .. a GOOD 12 volts battery directly to the STARTER terminal... this makes sure eng will rotate with the starter.. and that the starter IS working, you can actually " diagnose-backwards " from that point, start-solenoid , safety switches, ign. switch, etc. etc. when testing electrical it's best to "isolate" things one at a time including the spark plug(s)...test to insure its integrity..PATIENCE !!!... it saves headaches AND money if all you're doing is guessing . ....Boobala

ginnis62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the spark plug(s) .." jump " .. a GOOD 12 volts battery directly to the STARTER terminal... this makes sure eng will rotate with the starter.. and that the starter IS working, you can actually " diagnose-backwards " from that point, start-solenoid , safety switches, ign. switch, etc. etc. when testing electrical it's best to "isolate" things one at a time including the spark plug(s)...test to insure its integrity..PATIENCE !!!... it saves headaches AND money if all you're doing is guessing . ....Boobala

I found the problem. The new solenoid I put in was bad. I really appreciate that service manual you provided...it helped alot. I printed all 421 pages and put it in a binder. The 1861 is actually covered in that manual. Thanks, again.