Float Valve leaking

wv109323

Threads
I have a Honda GVC160A S3H motor with BB65E carburetor. Last fall I noticed some black smoke when the engine speed up under load. Later the motor quit and the carb was leaking gas out the air filter. The gas was coming through the main jet.
I removed the carb and disassembled. Did not see anything wrong. I reassembled and same problem. Gas running out the main jet. Well I went to order parts and they were more than a new carburetor. I thought the float or the needle valve was worn or maybe the float had a crack. I ordered a new carb (P/N -315) that superseded the old part number.
I put it on and the same problem. The carb bowl will fill up and then the gas leaks out the jet.
I have disassembled and reassembled so much, I am in fear of wearing out the mounting bolt threads. The float level is non- adjustable as far as I can see.
Is there anything besides the needle valve, float, and float chamber that would affect the needle valve not shutting the fuel off when the float rises. In the PFD I reviewed I notice something Blue. My thoughts are that this is something to hold the needle valve in the float. Is there a way to lower the float level?
I have cleaned the tank thinking it was contaminated. That did not help.
I filled the carb full of water and blew through the fuel hose. The needle valve is not seating all the time allowing fuel to leak. Any yhoughts or suggestions?

wv109323

Threads
Sounds like the new carb you got is defective. Is it an OEM Honda part, or is it aftermarket?

If you want an adjustable float, buy this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PZ19-19mm-C...ash=item2c9e588552:g:XoAAAOSwHnFVqRxR&vxp=mtr

It's for a Chinese ATV carb, but the float fits Honda GCV carbs as well. :thumbsup:

The carb was an OEM Honda carburetor. It was a updated part number but was a direct replacement. I thing I thought of today. Does the needle valve have a separate set. This needle valve seats against the aluminum housing. Thanks for the info on the adjustable float.

primerbulb120

Threads
All the Hondas I've worked on had a rubber tipped needle that seats directly against the aluminum housing.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If metal to metal we used the fingernail test. Is a contact ring visible on the point of the needle? Should not detect any ridge on the ring. Does crud appear anywhere in the inlet flow. A piece of debris can jam a needle open. Perhaps wrong buoyancy of float? Leaking float took on gas, will not rise to shut off gas? Gravity flow only to float.....trouble if any "boost" is used to feed gas. :2cents:

magbarn

Threads
I have a Honda GVC160A S3H motor with BB65E carburetor. Last fall I noticed some black smoke when the engine speed up under load. Later the motor quit and the carb was leaking gas out the air filter. The gas was coming through the main jet.
I removed the carb and disassembled. Did not see anything wrong. I reassembled and same problem. Gas running out the main jet. Well I went to order parts and they were more than a new carburetor. I thought the float or the needle valve was worn or maybe the float had a crack. I ordered a new carb (P/N -315) that superseded the old part number.
I put it on and the same problem. The carb bowl will fill up and then the gas leaks out the jet.
I have disassembled and reassembled so much, I am in fear of wearing out the mounting bolt threads. The float level is non- adjustable as far as I can see.
Is there anything besides the needle valve, float, and float chamber that would affect the needle valve not shutting the fuel off when the float rises. In the PFD I reviewed I notice something Blue. My thoughts are that this is something to hold the needle valve in the float. Is there a way to lower the float level?
I have cleaned the tank thinking it was contaminated. That did not help.
I filled the carb full of water and blew through the fuel hose. The needle valve is not seating all the time allowing fuel to leak. Any yhoughts or suggestions?

That's weird as my hrc160hxa (commercial model) carb does the exact same thing. I've ordered a $80 carb with the hopes of it fixing it. Hopefully someone chimes in and helps you as it may apply to my mower also.

wv109323

Threads
I bought the adjustable float mentioned above. I lowered the float level but that didn't help. I pressed the needle valve into the carb body hard a few times and that seemed to help set the needle valve.